Is This True?

thebees

DTC or DCT or big waste  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I heard today that Douglas Corporation have changed their name, to Douglas Borough Council or something like that. Just like the wastrels at the government they will need all new livery on their vans, all new clothes, all new stationery and probably a new logo, how crazy. I beg the question who gets the contract for the van livery/clothes/stationery...no doubt some mate of one of the councillors innit?

Well, it' certainly the first I have heard about it and as a Douglas rate payer I quite object but its far too late to make moan now, so I'll just go buy some shares in Esquires and Edwin Dennis (made up information as to whom they, 'the corpy', procure stuff from)

Well, it' certainly the first I have heard about it and as a Douglas rate payer I quite object but its far too late to make moan now, so I'll just go buy some shares in Esquires and Edwin Dennis (made up information as to whom they, 'the corpy', procure stuff from)

I'm all for departmental re-branding if it reflects reality. If they decided to change their name to "The Department of Incredibly Useless Twats" for instance I'd endorse any money spent re lettering vans and putting signs up.

It's actually been about 3 years, now I've checked. As a Douglas resident you should get one of their newsletters which have 'Douglas Borough Council' at the top.

You could always write a letter of complaint and post date it back to 2007 :)

You've got to wonder though if it takes one of their own rate payers 3 years to even realise the name has changed then what was the point of changing it in the first place. Why can't they be called commissioners like anywhere else on the island? Perhaps they think they're a cut above the other local authorities on the island.

I heard today that Douglas Corporation have changed their name, to Douglas Borough Council or something like that.

I understand that the name "the Municipal Borough of Douglas" was given (by Act of Tynwald) in 1896 so it has been around a little (maybe Thebees missed it on its first appearance).

They had Commisioners before this from 1860 - since Peel had the Cathedral (and kept it tho Douglas apparently lobbied very hard to get it when the old cathedral on St Patrick's Isle was finally deemed unrepairable) thus they could not get the coveted 'city' title and went for the English Corporation and non-Manx Mayoral system.

Well what a waste of time, money and effort, like Monkey boy says "If it takes one of their own rate payers 3 years to even realise the name has changed then what was the point?". Honest to goodness, maybe it is time to rid ourselves of councils and commissioners (save buying a new Mayoresses chain) - what do they do anyway? Nobles park has more gardeners than Hyde park and the park is a disgrace, long grass, rubbish all over the place, fences needing painted. Oh I despair.

Archived