Greens Closing 31St December.

player

Not been yet but good menu to start with. £5.50??? perhaps a start up price?

As I've said before, if they wished to retain the (mainly) Veggy Café theme, there is not much point in adding just Fish, they may as well do all and any meats. Possibly when they have sorted out?

Queenies, 20 little Animals as one serving! Not exactly in keeping with the Veggy Style?

Best o Luck to them but I think the style may as well change completely as this half cocked idea.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been yet but good menu to start with. £5.50??? perhaps a start up price?

As I've said before, if they wished to retain the (mainly) Veggy Café theme, there is not much point in adding just Fish, they may as well do all and any meats. Possibly when they have sorted out?

Queenies, 20 little Animals as one serving! Not exactly in keeping with the Veggy Style?

Best o Luck to them but I think the style may as well change completely as this half cocked idea.

Greens wasn't just for vegetarians, I ate there often because I eat a lot of meals without meat, but I'm not a veggie. I think adding fish is a good idea provided they keep the pure veggies happy by keeping everything sufficiently separate. Greens could have been limiting their market by only serving vegetarian meals, so perhaps now with a good range of veggie and fish dishes, this new place will appeal to more people.

I can't see those prices holding though.

Think the idea of getting the fish delivered on the train from PSM is a great idea

Is that just in the summer? I didn't think the trains were running during the winter?

And theres hardly any local fish landed. Only a bit of bycatch from the dredging.

I didn't mean to imply that they should not do meat or that Omnivores cannot forego meat occasionally.

They are obviously trying to keep the existing clientelle happy and retain their custom by playing up the Veggy aspect.

I would say that Veggy and Fish is not the most ideal way to do this, they could have gone straight to Omnivorious Restaurant with a better than usual selection of veg dishes.

You're probably right that Greens restricted theirselves too much. Meat eaters have such a funny attitude to veggy dishes, generally starting with screwing their face up into a 'disgusted contortion'!

Most Veggies are not so strict as to require Kosher style separation and preparation. Fish and meat have to be prepared separately anyway, wouldn't want those worms from the Cod getting in the Homity Pie, would we?

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the new Greens this week, begrudgingly as I was a big fan of greens. Sadly it is amazing, self service salad bar fresh and well stocked with a good variety of stuff, and the fish mains were superb. Service also extremely good, the facelift nice, the whole place feels brighter and cleaner. Prices extremely good, I'll be amazed if they can keep that up.

I have been twice now and like others here can't praise too highly the whole new setup. The place has been redecorated and new chairs purchased really brightening things up. The food is excellent, with a wide number of very tasty options. The salad bar is a great idea (Greens suffered at times with very variable portion sizes). The price is most reasonable. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

I was a massive fan of the old Greens but the new place blows it out of the water. It is just the sort of revamp that then place was crying out for (even if at the time we didn't realise it).

I will be going down each week for my Saturday lunch. Long may the very high standards that the new operators have set themselves continue.

Archived