Greens Closing 31St December.

player

Was in Greens in the Railway Station in Douglas today. They had a notice up to say they won't be operating after the 31st December as they were not awarded the lease which went out to tender. They've been there 21 years. It seems the DOTL have awarded the contract to someone else.

:(

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in Greens in the Railway Station in Douglas today. They had a notice up to say they won't be operating after the 31st December as they were not awarded the lease which went out to tender. They've been there 21 years. It seems the DOTL have awarded the contract to someone else.

:(

That's dreadful to give such short notice on the lease too. Nice xmas present to the leaseholders and their staff. Why is the DOTL allowed to do this?? I'm not saying that they cannot change the leaseholders but there should be something in place to give proper notice. I hope they charge the DOTl for all the stock they have had to purchase but won't get used by 31st!

That's dreadful to give such short notice on the lease too. Nice xmas present to the leaseholders and their staff. Why is the DOTL allowed to do this?? I'm not saying that they cannot change the leaseholders but there should be something in place to give proper notice. I hope they charge the DOTl for all the stock they have had to purchase but won't get used by 31st!

They might of had 12 or 6 months notice who's to know? It didn't say when they were told.

They might of had 12 or 6 months notice who's to know? It didn't say when they were told.

I believe they were told on 30 November. They had to tender for renewal of the lease but there were four applicants and one of the others was successful. It therefore wasn't a total surprise but after 21 years......

Greens is great, I will be sad to see it go :( They're a tough act to follow, but Ye Olde Tynwaldeeeeee is rather lovely and they do a wicked afternoon tea, scones with homemade Strawberry jam (diet shmiet), medium sliced bread sarnies, well nice. The Douglas food scene is a bit flooded, maybe they didn't put up too much of a fight, who knows eh?

See my earlier post in 'Food & Drink'

"Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

Tried lunch there today - Lancashire Hotpot - very good. Shame that Nigel is having to quit Greens at the end of the month though."

Its DCCL by the way.

Good old Nigel. Does he still wear the luminous socks? He's a star. We had great craic with him at the Bushys tent a few years ago with a hoopla.

but after 21 years......

Someone offered more than the current tenant and so gets the use of the premises - that's how the letting business works

It is not though. Normally if both parties are happy to renew they negotiate new terms.

In my view that is what the Govt should do in general if the lessee has established a decent business and good reputation etc. Otherwise you are just going with the highest bidder and as we have seen with other similar changes, e.g hospital cafe all that does is lead to increase in costs. It also does not necessary lead to an improvement or maintenace in quality or standards e.g. sound cafe.

Finally what incentive is there to a lessee to establish a decent cafe/restaurant business if you know in x years time a hirer bidder might come along and benefit from everything you have done.

I say all the above as somebody who does eat at Greens as I do not like the food, but the business appears succesful and people seems more than happy to eat there. In those situations I believe he current tennant should be offered terms to renew and only if they are not agreed then it should be put out to lease.

Archived