Greens Closing 31St December.

player

Personnally gutted that Greens is closing, being a veggie its been a blessing for all my working life, will be interested to see who gets the new lease - does anybody know ?

And while on the topic, realise there are no other veggie cafes in douglas, but can anybody recommend anywhere that is veggie friendly that does more than a cheese toastie / microwaved spud with lettuce ?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But Jabberwockky also serves meat products so I assume the use seperate utensils etc

Can't speak for Jabberwocky, but I know 99% of places don't use seperate utensils and preperation surfaces, so while they serve some 'food without meat' they don't really cater for vegetarians as such as most (strict) veggies would prefer their food to be prepared seperately from the meat products, which is why greens was such a godsend

Great news! The cooking smell coming out of there, with a realisation that there wasn't a steak pie on the end of it was perverse and I never used the place. Look forward to some proper food in the future.

Find it somewhat suprising that all the meat eaters on here can be so begrudging towards veggies having just one place to eat in Douglas !, there are dozens of places to choose from if you want some 'proper food' as you call it !

Of course it could just be spam, no pun intended :)

Great news! The cooking smell coming out of there, with a realisation that there wasn't a steak pie on the end of it was perverse and I never used the place. Look forward to some proper food in the future.

Define proper food, I may not be veggie but I rarely eat red meat, just mainly seafood and chicken but will gladly have veggie if offered and can find no difference what so ever bar of course the reduced chance of developing colon cancer.

A real danger in what has happened is that after 6 months the new tenants paying the higher rent are unable to carve out enough business to make it viable, then fold. Then the government is left scrabbling for anyone to fill the place, thus making the who change a false economy.

Like it or not Greens was popular and had a unique selling point that gained it customers. Should the new place not have a good selling point there is a fair chance it will loose a lot of Greens current custom. If it then chooses a more generic cafe approach it will have stiff competition from many other venues. Being in the train station is not the big people draw that is enough to guarantee viability.

I hope whoever took over this lease, and those who granted it, has thought all of this through before paying the increased rate. Another empty venue is exactly what the island doesn't need.

Hopefully the new tenants will open the cafe in time for the first train ariving from Port Erin.

There should no hopeful about it. The Cafe at Douglas Station and the one at Port Erin should be part of the whole visitor railway attraction. Just as the cafe on the Summit of Snaefell should be. When the trains are running they should be open. I think there should also be an appropriate shop selling souveniers to help seperate tourists from their money.

It is why I have a problem of such facilities just going to the highest bidder as I see them not just as a seperate indepenent cafe but part of the whole facility. Would be nice if they cleaned, painted and brightened the place up before the new tennants open.

Hopefully the new tenants will open the cafe in time for the first train ariving from Port Erin.

There should no hopeful about it. The Cafe at Douglas Station and the one at Port Erin should be part of the whole visitor railway attraction. Just as the cafe on the Summit of Snaefell should be. When the trains are running they should be open. I think there should also be an appropriate shop selling souveniers to help seperate tourists from their money.

It is why I have a problem of such facilities just going to the highest bidder as I see them not just as a seperate indepenent cafe but part of the whole facility. Would be nice if they cleaned, painted and brightened the place up before the new tennants open.

Who operates the other DTI/Heritage Cafes? Are they tenants?

D's Leasure, the outfit that has the Liverpool Arms, won just about all the the tenders for the 'heritage'sites over the last year or so: Niarbyl, Manx Museum,The Sound, The Grove.

Thats who I'm assuming it is, but only on the basis they seem to have a monopoly on government contracts at the moment, remains to be seen as nobody seems to know or be able to find out who won the contract, least of all the staff who got made redundant with 3 weeks notice and lose their jobs on christmas eve, not good :(

Archived