Greens Closing 31St December.

player

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the government should give the lease to the person who offers them the most money. I like Greens but the Treasury needs every penny

In general I might agree but I also think it is partly self defeating. I think you have to ensure it is a commercial return but if you were a business man would you think of making a bid for short term lease knowing that if you built up a decent business you might have to dig deep in a few years time or be kicked out. I do not think it firstly gives much incentive to create a decent succesful business but also surely it discourages many from applying as you might as well as go for a private sector tenancy with more security.

There is an additional reason why I am against just against going for the person who offers the most money and that is most of these government leases are attached to a "visitor" attraction or public facility. If they were just another premise in Strand Street I agree with your view. Accordingly they also inpact on visitors opinion on such places or are part of the facility. Do we really want a great visitor attraction which has appalling and expensive cafe etc just because it offered the most rent. Should a place at a public facility such as a hospital and which has a near monopoly also have requirements re standards and prices. Having read about the last change their the main result seemed to be a substantial increase in the price of a cup of coffee. Fair enough in the centre of town when there is competition and you have a choice but in a public facility?

Of course they could have applied to Court to have their tenancy extended, whatever the result of the tender, as they had been there for more than 5 years. This is under the Tenancy of Business Premises Act. All they would have had to do would have been to offer to pay the rent of the highest tenderer. Shoe in!

They clearly decided not to do that and concentrate on other business activities. Business decision, no oppression by Government. All services and tenancies should be by tender to get the best price and service, low price if buying in and highest price if letting out.

Good Luck to Nicky and Nigel at St Johns

I shall miss the vegetarian restaurant option, but whilst the atmosphere was great, and I had taken my staff there for parties when I ran an office, it was a bit stuck in a "Cranks" 1980's time warp.

....But what if the highest offer is ridiculously high? The current tenants would know that it is not sustainable and when the new tenant goes bankrupt, they have moved on.

Of course they could tender again for the new lease but will have lost a few years of their "Baby" and not be guaranteed another lease.

There is an onus on the Govt to get as much as possible but the style and price range that the Govt want in some of their places is not always conducive the highest offer.

What if someone wanted to go for this new lease but didn't want to tread on Nicky and Nigels toes and then they didn't get it. Damn!

Next up is Laxey Pavilion,with the £300k or so the DEFA are to spend on the building, that would really need a rent of some £30k /yr.

That again, for what the Dept require it be available for, is unsustainable but shouldn't the Govt be obliged to recover the capital outlay on a commercial lease? Or do they compromise?

They should restore it to the original 'Buffet Bar.' Memories of many evenings happily spent in there - and, of course, it was the second stop on the 'Barbary Coast' after the Grosvenor in Athol Street. :)

Off topic a bit, but I was along the 'Barbary Coast' the other evening. The British used to be an ok place but that really has gone downhill. There was some loud mouthed Scottish woman holding court at the bar with (literally) one

word in five being the F word.

The bar staff and clientele seemed to be lapping it up. Or perhaps they were scared not to show appreciation to the narrative, in case they got the effin'Glesgakiss.

I suppose one could say it was Billy Connolly crossed with Gordon Ramsay, but it certainly wasn't. It was totally repulsive. But I still recommend to go in there, it is entertaining, like a circus that used to show 'The Bearded Lady' or the 'Fat Lady' or the 'Tattooed Lady'. Such things are so common place these days. But 'Shouty drunk sweary Scottish lady' has a certain appeal.

Making the Quay posh with designer lights and outdoor seating and sculptures seems to have resulted in a downturn.

A taxi driver recently told me the British was the most likely place to get into a fight in Douglas. More likely than MacDeaths!

I think he may have been right. Its become a right shithole. Very classy christmas display outside though...

A taxi driver recently told me the British was the most likely place to get into a fight in Douglas. More likely than MacDeaths!

I think he may have been right. Its become a right shithole. Very classy christmas display outside though...

They are too pissed to even fight in McDeaths now. The whole pub is now one great big amorphous slurring, smoking, farting, puking, shit and piss stained high viz jacket.

I say old Chap, no need for that sort of language on here!

Are you the Chap who spits outside Mc Beths? Please desist there's a good Fellow!

Archived