Blackberry Bold 9700 Internet Problem

Hi all,

We got my daughter a Blackberry Bold 9700 for Christmas and we can't get the browser to work. My router is seeing it as it's seeing all the laptops, ipad etc but we can't browse the internet on the phone. Anyone know if its a setting that needs sorting on the phone or should I send it back. I thought that all we'd have to do is put the router password in like any other peice of wifi equipment.

Hi all,

We got my daughter a Blackberry Bold 9700 for Christmas and we can't get the browser to work. My router is seeing it as it's seeing all the laptops, ipad etc but we can't browse the internet on the phone. Anyone know if its a setting that needs sorting on the phone or should I send it back. I thought that all we'd have to do is put the router password in like any other peice of wifi equipment.

Did you buy it locally?

Is the phone locked to only affiliate onto a specific network like 02 or Orange or Sure mobile network?

LT

I used to have a Bold, it was very intermittent on the wifi, sometimes it would show connected to my home wifi but the wifi icon would stay grey not white and it wouldn't go out via wifi, it loved open networks though. It was fully updated to latest rom and so was my home router but somedays it just wouldn't play ball at home.

Is the phone locked to only affiliate onto a specific network like 02 or Orange or Sure mobile network?

No it's totally unlocked..

Thanks for the info Baz..

Go into Options, Advanced Options, and Browser then temporarily set your default broswer configuration to Hotspot browser and try it when connected to wifi. If that works (although I've found wifi can be patchy on blackberrys) then I'd suspect it's either not on a BB contract, that you asked for a BB contact but the SIM hasn't been provisioned correctly, or it just needs the service books resending.

Go into Options, Advanced Options, and Browser then temporarily set your default broswer configuration to Hotspot browser and try it when connected to wifi. If that works (although I've found wifi can be patchy on blackberrys) then I'd suspect it's either not on a BB contract, that you asked for a BB contact but the SIM hasn't been provisioned correctly, or it just needs the service books resending.

Just a quick question, why would you need a 'BB contract' to connect to the internet using your own paid-for wifi signal?

Because even with a wifi connection, traffic is still routed via RIM's BIS servers. Switching to hotspot browser uses the wifi natively or an alternative is to install a 3rd party browser like Opera mini that will use the carrier's internet APN instead.

There's little point of having a Blackberry if you don't have a BB plan enabled on the sim anyway as most of the features of the handset won't work without it.

Archived