Manx Telecom Mobile Data

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Manx Telecom have any plans to have a data plan that you can use for all your mobile devices with one payment, for example 2 gig a month. Instead of charging for each individual device, i.e mobile phone, ipad etc?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Manx Telecom have any plans to have a data plan that you can use for all your mobile devices with one payment, for example 2 gig a month. Instead of charging for each individual device, i.e mobile phone, ipad etc?

They've been promising it for years. Last I heard it was dependent on a new billing system which they've now installed, so I hope it's coming soon. Sure will pool data and mins quite happily.

I found the cheapest is sure they lobbed unlimited access for one phone in with my package which in reality is said to be fair useage of 500mb/day, so if out we tend to set that phone up as the mobile access point and other phones, pads, laptops tablets etc we may have with us connect via that, I believe if you want it seperate it's $10 month so still beats MT.

I recently asked MT if I could have two clone sims for mobile broadband and was told, 'It can't be done'. It can so I suupose they do not want to and so give up the two account charges.

If you apply that to the above thinking, will it ever happen?

I found the cheapest is sure they lobbed unlimited access for one phone in with my package which in reality is said to be fair useage of 500mb/day, so if out we tend to set that phone up as the mobile access point and other phones, pads, laptops tablets etc we may have with us connect via that, I believe if you want it seperate it's $10 month so still beats MT.

Are you using that as your main internet or do you also have broadband ?

Are you using that as your main internet or do you also have broadband ?

I also have broadband but from wimanx

I wouldn't bother with Sure if you want decent mobile data and live anywhere other than in their shop. :ph34r:

Their service has been getting messed around with now (like the customers) for longer than I care to remember, and after 2 missed launch dates for 3g, I've heard nothing since the last missed one on 01 Dec (or thereabouts), so I've no idea whether it's meant to be fully working or not yet. Seem to recall hearing the full rollout would be by end of last year or something but I might well be wrong there.

I've had 3g showing on my phone while in port erin, for a few weeks now, but unfortunately it often has no signal or maybe just 1 bar, so to make calls I usually have to turn off 3g and switch to GSM then I get a decent signal, or just switch it to GSM while down south then switch it to 3g in douglas to get none pathetic (but still erratic) data speeds. Think the phone is meant to switch automatically between GSM and 3G depending on whether it has a good signal but it doesn't seem to work alas.

I wish they'd pull their finger out and get the data signal sorted as it's dragging out to be a bit of a joke.

Might be dearer with telecom but I'd rather that than pay anyway and not get the service.

Nothing personal if any Sure people are reading, but it's more than a bit frustrating. <_<

I wouldn't bother with Sure if you want decent mobile data and live anywhere other than in their shop. :ph34r:

Their service has been getting messed around with now (like the customers) for longer than I care to remember, and after 2 missed launch dates for 3g, I've heard nothing since the last missed one on 01 Dec (or thereabouts), so I've no idea whether it's meant to be fully working or not yet. Seem to recall hearing the full rollout would be by end of last year or something but I might well be wrong there.

I've had 3g showing on my phone while in port erin, for a few weeks now, but unfortunately it often has no signal or maybe just 1 bar, so to make calls I usually have to turn off 3g and switch to GSM then I get a decent signal, or just switch it to GSM while down south then switch it to 3g in douglas to get none pathetic (but still erratic) data speeds. Think the phone is meant to switch automatically between GSM and 3G depending on whether it has a good signal but it doesn't seem to work alas.

I wish they'd pull their finger out and get the data signal sorted as it's dragging out to be a bit of a joke.

Might be dearer with telecom but I'd rather that than pay anyway and not get the service.

Nothing personal if any Sure people are reading, but it's more than a bit frustrating. <_<

Cret, try posting on their Twitter account SureIOM. They appear to respond to most queries from what I can see.

Thanks for the tip Anita. Will have to sign up to twitter I suppose - yeah I know, I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't use it already! :)

Odd though that they'll make the effort to send me sms spam about their broadband offers etc, but don't send any giving updates on what is really quite a big service launch for 3g, or should be in theory at least.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for (sort of) hijacking an old thread but it appears new members aren't allowed to post new topics(?)

I've started visiting IoM quite frequently so it'd be handy to have an internet connection when I'm there. Preferrably mobile broadband.

Last time I was on the island I went into a fone shop and was told that I'd have to pay 100quid for a dongle and a huge monthly contract after that. So I didn't bother.

I'm wondering if Tesco or anyone else does a pay as you go mobile internet for a sensible price?

thanks in advance :)

Sorry for (sort of) hijacking an old thread but it appears new members aren't allowed to post new topics(?)

I've started visiting IoM quite frequently so it'd be handy to have an internet connection when I'm there. Preferrably mobile broadband.

Last time I was on the island I went into a fone shop and was told that I'd have to pay 100quid for a dongle and a huge monthly contract after that. So I didn't bother.

I'm wondering if Tesco or anyone else does a pay as you go mobile internet for a sensible price?

thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forums. No such luck we still only have two service providers over here. If you could bring a unlocked dongle with you then you could just buy a sim pack for it, depending on what your internet requirements would depend on what package or provider you go with.

Buy a UK dongle pack (eg O2) and follow instructions on unlocking dongle online. Dead easy, took me 5 mins. A Sure Sim then costs nothing but what you load on it - I did £5, and it's then only £1 a day when used.

sm-iom

Buy a UK dongle pack (eg O2) and follow instructions on unlocking dongle online. Dead easy, took me 5 mins. A Sure Sim then costs nothing but what you load on it - I did £5, and it's then only £1 a day when used.

sm-iom

Super dooper. Thanks. I've got a 3 dongle. Off to find out if i can unlock it :)

Three will unlock it for £15 - I've recently bought a Mifi device from Three on PAYG and they gave me the code over the phone for £15, but they appear to leave the £15 in the PAYG account so in effect the unlock code cost me nothing!

Archived