Manx Telecom Mobile Data

Sorry for (sort of) hijacking an old thread but it appears new members aren't allowed to post new topics(?)

I've started visiting IoM quite frequently so it'd be handy to have an internet connection when I'm there. Preferrably mobile broadband.

Last time I was on the island I went into a fone shop and was told that I'd have to pay 100quid for a dongle and a huge monthly contract after that. So I didn't bother.

I'm wondering if Tesco or anyone else does a pay as you go mobile internet for a sensible price?

thanks in advance :)

With Sure the dongle is 75 quid (if you don't already have one), the SIM is free, roaming costs 1 pound per day.

Anybody else tried one of the new 3G Nokia Dongles that they are selling at Manx Telecom in Douglas - I live in Port St Mary and cannot get it to work, works fine in Douglas when I bring it through to the shop to ask why it doesn't work - typical !

Seems that the 3G signal down south is just not strong enough - anybody else having the same problem, pretty useless having the dongle if it doesnt work where I live

Anybody else tried one of the new 3G Nokia Dongles that they are selling at Manx Telecom in Douglas - I live in Port St Mary and cannot get it to work, works fine in Douglas when I bring it through to the shop to ask why it doesn't work - typical !

Seems that the 3G signal down south is just not strong enough - anybody else having the same problem, pretty useless having the dongle if it doesnt work where I live

Oh, in reply to one of the questions above, yes MT do monthly tariffs for mobile data only now. But the 'pay as you go' option (as advertised for use with the dongle) appears to me to be a bit of a con as you can only buy normal pay as you go so you have to buy £10 of calls to get 500 MB free data, the calls are clearly of no use and there is no option to just buy data on line and pay as you go this can only be done on contract - not quite how its advertised IMHO

And before someone asks why use a dongle at home - because I don't want to pay for a fixed line and a monthly broadband contract just so I can check emails so the dongle seems like the perfect option

The dongles come with 2gb of data. After that as I understand it just becomes a payg sim. Data on payg is expensive once you use the free stuff. If you are going to be using data frequently, get a contract data sim which will give you a lot more data allowance than payg and its a 30 day rolling contract.

The nokia dongle deal looks like it is aimed at visitors to use the 2gb while they are here. It does not really make sense to get one of these and use it as a perminant solution. Unless the dongles are cheeper that the other ones they have, in that case get one and get a seperate data sim on contract for £10 a month or whatever it is.

With regards to the signal, what are the bars like on the nokia interface? Is it different when you are outside?

The dongles come with 2gb of data. After that as I understand it just becomes a payg sim. Data on payg is expensive once you use the free stuff. If you are going to be using data frequently, get a contract data sim which will give you a lot more data allowance than payg and its a 30 day rolling contract.

The nokia dongle deal looks like it is aimed at visitors to use the 2gb while they are here. It does not really make sense to get one of these and use it as a perminant solution. Unless the dongles are cheeper that the other ones they have, in that case get one and get a seperate data sim on contract for £10 a month or whatever it is.

With regards to the signal, what are the bars like on the nokia interface? Is it different when you are outside?

Thanks IP - yes agree with you re. the contract - wish they'd made that clearer when I was buying it as I explained I was a permanent resident - but no great loss as it was a fairly reasonable price anyway.

The signal seems OK when you connect but then as soon as you try and do anything it drops - MT are going to test it, their support have been very helpful tbh its just annoying that they make out in the shop that it will work fine without any problems but the reality is somewhat different

I think Cret had problems down south on 3g but not sure if he is with MT or sure. Mobile data is tricky because it can depend on microcell usage at the time. I dare say if there are a load of visitors roaming in your area, the signal or at least performance may be “diluted” for want of a better word.

I think Cret had problems down south on 3g but not sure if he is with MT or sure. Mobile data is tricky because it can depend on microcell usage at the time. I dare say if there are a load of visitors roaming in your area, the signal or at least performance may be “diluted” for want of a better word.

A friend has suggested I might be better with Sure as he uses it without problem - see what you mean about visitors its probably not the best week to be trying it !! - thanks again

Archived