Ok bit confused so any help welcome.

Friend had damaged usb port with pins all bent over touching case preventing pc from booting up and just getting orange light. Straightened the pins and managed to boot the pc. However none of the USB ports would detect anything so assume the USB Bus (?) has been damaged.

Rather than going down PCI USB and hub route, happened to have a same model pc going spare which is fully functional. So thought a simple swap over of the hard disc was all thats needed.

Done this and PC boots up fine, however USB keyboard and mouse wont respond. Light has came on on mouse but it wont respond. Nothing on keyboard unless I go into BIOS when keyboard will then respond. Checked USB settings in BIOS and its enabled.

So I am rather confused as to why I am having USB problems on a completely different box ? Any suggestions, sure I am missing something simple.

Cheers

Driver issue maybe? Did the keyboard /mouse come with a disc? Are they wired or wireless, if wireless you may need to go through the proceedure to connect them to the base again.

Failing that, have you got an adaptor or two to convert them to PS2 port? My wireless mouse died but I had an old PS" mouse and adaptor that I could just plug in, keyboard still works (space bar isa bit iffy though lol).

Nah they are basic wired usb keyboard and mouse, plug and play so would be surprised if drivers needed as they are just detected on any other pc or laptop I have used them with. Possible I suppose but next question would be how I install drivers when I can get the keyboard and mouse to work ?

As for ps/2 adapters, thought of that....damn pc hasnt got any ps/2 ports unfortunately.

Ah right, that's unfortunate. My pc is still old enough to have them.

Plenty of techy types on here (or there was when I last posted on a regular basis). I'm sure someone will come along soon and give you some other options to try out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived