National Speed Limit

Blade Runner

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You'll be a pensioner some time!

What bugs me is the drivers who sit on my bumper when I am doing 32 in a 30 zone, can't keep up with me when de-restricted, but then snuggle up to my bumper again while I'm driving through the next 30 area.

There are also those who speed through a 30 zone, but won't go above 35mph when outside it.

The performance rating of the car doesn't come into it.

A minimum speed limit could only work on a motorway, and probably then only the "fast" lane - some autoroutes in France operate this, as well as having different maximum speeds to suit weather conditions.

(Don't let the tortoises loose, or you'll lose them!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a lot of places on the Island where the speed limits are just wrong. For instance, the bypass in Castletown. Why the fuck does the no limit start BEFORE the junction? Why could you possibly want anyone speeding up from 50 as they pass a busy junction. Madness.

Similarly some of the back roads through St Marks should blatantly not be no-limit.

On the other hand there's a few places where the limit could be increased safely.

My stance on this is the same as it has always been. IMO there should be 2 limits. One for "everybody" (say 60 or whatever), and one for people who:

A) Take an advanced test (at cost, say £150?)

B) Renew this test once every 2 years

Which could be perhaps somewhere between 80mph and 120mph. Stopping distances are much shorter than they used to be, especially in performance vehicles.

monasqueen: "What bugs me is the drivers who sit on my bumper when I am doing 32 in a 30 zone, can't keep up with me when de-restricted, but then snuggle up to my bumper again while I'm driving through the next 30 area."

Here Here! Pointless assuming the Police would enforce it. They seemingly can't be bothered enforcing the 30 and 40 speed limits already in place around the island... or prosecuting men in white vans driving with a mobile phone stuck to their ear and their bumper up your arse. It seems pointless bringing in yet more laws until the Police actually bother to enforce the ones we already have.

Archived