New Computer Specs.

will this set up run the new type of games thats hitting the shelfs these days,

specs are as followes

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3) Processor -

1xGigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express ATX Motherboard

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive.

and a EVGA GeForce GTX 560 "Superclocked" 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card .

and 8gb ram.

upgrading from

amd athlon 64x2 5600x 2.90 ghz with a 32bit op systerm,

500gb hard drive

4gb ram

geforce 9500gt card.

specs are as followes

and a EVGA GeForce GTX 560 "Superclocked" 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card .

and 8gb ram.

upgrading from

500gb hard drive

4gb ram

geforce 9500gt card.

Yes that'd be fine but you'd be far better off getting a quad-core Intel chip than a six-core AMD chip (they cost about the same, the i5-2500K is the one to go for with a suitable motherboard).

Also drop from 8GB RAM to 6GB RAM (3x2GB tri-channel).

The problem with the current AMD Phenoms is that the basic architecture is still the same as your ancient Athlon 64X2 (and even the old Athlon 64s before that!).

The graphics card is alright but the 560Ti is a better bet for not much extra cash, what resolution do you game at?

to be honest i never been a fan of intel, allways been with amd to be honest, hasent let me down yet,

thing is the two items you have mentioned which i no dowt will be good, are both out of the price range i set for each part. i did look at the 560ti but was just that stretch to far not by much but it soon adds up, and this lot is not the cheapest in one go ;)

play on 22in, 1074x768 is it.

all depends on the game as some play better etc on diffrent setting, but mostly that one.

to be honest i never been a fan of intel, allways been with amd to be honest, hasent let me down yet,

thing is the two items you have mentioned which i no dowt will be good, are both out of the price range i set for each part. i did look at the 560ti but was just that stretch to far not by much but it soon adds up, and this lot is not the cheapest in one go ;)

all depends on the game as some play better etc on diffrent setting, but mostly that one.

What's the highest resolution your screen will support? Ideally that's what you want to be playing at, I'm guessing it's probably 1680x1050 on a 22inch (assuming widescreen).

I'm a fan of AMD myself - (had an Athon XP, then an Athlon 64, then an Athlon 64X2) - but the simple truth of the matter is that Intel knock them for six when it comes to bangs for bucks and have done since the Core Duo was released.

If you do want to stick with AMD then go for a quad-core instead of a six-core, as it'll make bugger all difference in just about anything, especially games.

This CPU for example is under £100 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-253-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1943

Use the difference to upgrade the graphics card to a 560Ti.

What's the highest resolution your screen will support? Ideally that's what you want to be playing at, I'm guessing it's probably 1680x1050 on a 22inch (assuming widescreen).

I'm a fan of AMD myself - (had an Athon XP, then an Athlon 64, then an Athlon 64X2) - but the simple truth of the matter is that Intel knock them for six when it comes to bangs for bucks and have done since the Core Duo was released.

If you do want to stick with AMD then go for a quad-core instead of a six-core, as it'll make bugger all difference in just about anything, especially games.

This CPU for example is under £100 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-253-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1943

Use the difference to upgrade the graphics card to a 560Ti.

Wouldn`t it be better to wait for the new AMD CPU to be released? The next release from AMD wont be compatible with AM3 motherboards, so if you where to get that set up now you wouldnt be able to upgrade to the newer CPU`s in the future

Intel are far superior to AMD cpu`s, but the way intel keep changing their CPU sockets, forcing users to buy a new motherboard to upgrade is annoying. This will be the first socket change for AMD for years, seems AMD look out for their customers a lot more than intel.

Wouldn`t it be better to wait for the new AMD CPU to be released? The next release from AMD wont be compatible with AM3 motherboards, so if you where to get that set up now you wouldnt be able to upgrade to the newer CPU`s in the future

Intel are far superior to AMD cpu`s, but the way intel keep changing their CPU sockets, forcing users to buy a new motherboard to upgrade is annoying. This will be the first socket change for AMD for years, seems AMD look out for their customers a lot more than intel.

It is a good point jacko, but i cant wait lol.

to be fair it will no dowt be at least 3-4 years till i update again, thats when i normaly do it, so really it wont matter in that time, because by then they will no dowt have changed again.

It is a good point jacko, but i cant wait lol.

to be fair it will no dowt be at least 3-4 years till i update again, thats when i normaly do it, so really it wont matter in that time, because by then they will no dowt have changed again.

Well if its any help at all, I use an AMD phenom quad core black edition, a gtx 8800 for my graphics card, 4gb of DDR3 ram and it plays any game I chuck at it and I don`t plan on upgrading anything anytime soon, except maybe replacing the monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

specs are as followes

and 8gb ram.

upgrading from

500gb hard drive

4gb ram

geforce 9500gt card.

Yes that'd be fine but you'd be far better off getting a quad-core Intel chip than a six-core AMD chip (they cost about the same, the i5-2500K is the one to go for with a suitable motherboard).

Also drop from 8GB RAM to 6GB RAM (3x2GB tri-channel).

The problem with the current AMD Phenoms is that the basic architecture is still the same as your ancient Athlon 64X2 (and even the old Athlon 64s before that!).

The graphics card is alright but the 560Ti is a better bet for not much extra cash, what resolution do you game at?

If you're going for the i5 2500K you will have to use dual channel RAM, so 4GB or 8GB

I would go for the Samsung Spinpoint F3. It's only SATA2 but still quicker than the WD Caviar Black in some tests. Can be a bit noisy though.

I agree with Twonky though, the 2500K will be much faster than the X6 AMD chips. Simply a far better architecture and better for gaming.

560Ti is a better card. Depends on what resolution your monitor is though

I appreciate you're an AMD fan, but the fact remains, the Intel chips absolutely piss all over the current AMD chips. Even the soon to be released 8 core AMD Bulldozer chips will likely only match the performance of the current (Sandybridge) 4 core chips.

If you're really playing at 1024x768 (which i suspect isn't right and it's really 1680x1050) then the normal 560 may be OK.

It will play most games on medium / high without issue.

See if you can get the "normal" GTX560 for much cheaper than the "OC" version. The pre overclock is usually a total joke and an excuse to hike the price.

there is no point in waiting for the new AMD CPU as the games wont utilise everything for another 5 years at least!

as for the card i think it would be better (if your saving money) to grab the best DX10 card you can get GTX 295/85 and run with that as because of piracy, developers arent pumping there money and resource into new DX11 games and is also why OpenGL cancelled version 3 of their API tools a couple of years back.

anyone fancy buying my machine as im bored of it now!

Intel i7 920 - watercooled

Gigabyte UD5-extreme - watercooled

2 x XFX HD5850 in crossfire

12GB Tri-channel Corsair Dominator

Lancool case

All it will need is a PSU as im keeping my Antec Truepower 1200w :) yes its overkill but i like to feel i have the room to build if it need it!

as for the card i think it would be better (if your saving money) to grab the best DX10 card you can get GTX 295/85 and run with that as because of piracy, developers arent pumping there money and resource into new DX11 games and is also why OpenGL cancelled version 3 of their API tools a couple of years back.

Eh?

Multiple developers all say the same thing, PC + DX11 is their 'dream platform' and the PCs of today are already doing what the next generation of consoles will.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/egtv-pc-gaming-special-part-1

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/egtv-pc-gaming-special-part-2

• 2 weeks later...

hi twonky, i see what you are saying and yes DX11 is the dream platform goal however, it requires a hell of a lot more resource to program it and companies cant afford it.

check DX11 games and you will see that the amount of games made with DX11 support over the past few years is MINIMAL compared to the amount that are being released in DX9 still, because it is easy.

until we see the next games consoles, which is where the money is; we wont know whether we will see consistent DX11 releases; and thats even if OpenGL dont jump in with something more affordable and better for developers to use than DX.

tbf we had to reach some sort of plateau at one stage or another but i reckon, that for at least another 18 months - 2 years the current GTX 5XX and the HD 6XXX will be as top a spec as we can go in our quest. one could even go and argue that the pc gaming market just isnt worth a toss except for the JAVA and other legacy platforms that are doing really well.

Archived