Cyg Road Closures

matty

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quite annoyed about that until I remembered I am away on Saturday.

Absolutely no notification to residents though. I presume the only access will be a walk through Willaston and over the bridge at the grandstand.

I suspect there will be a lot of angry people come Saturday

Rumour has it that traffic wardens maybe wandering round the estate dropping leaflets off to residents today, and it will be in the recent Courier - nothing like letting people know in advance !!

I have had a little involvement with the organisation of the CYG Cycling events.

From the outset when the course was ‘forced’ upon us due do the requirement that every event had to be held within Douglas, the plan was to have a vehicle crossing point at Ballanard road/Watterson Lane junction open all day allowing residents of all the estates within the course access, closed only briefly on each lap when the actual race is passing.

Unfortunately when the DoI produced all the draft orders only last week, the closure was classed the same as road closure for a motorsport event and hence the crossing point had been removed and the pavements were closed.

When challenged the DoI and the Police would not allow vehicles to cross the road during the closed period as they would be technically in contrary of the Road Closure Order. The only concession that could be gained was to allow unrestricted pedestrian access to the pavements with crossing at any marshalled point.

The cycling organisation is disappointed by this unnecessary extra inconvenience caused and the late notification but has adjusted race distances/timings to get a clear opening period at lunch time to allow full access to the affected areas.

The course is fully open between 12:15pm & 1:00pm and is hoped to be open before 4pm.

Unfortunately when the DoI produced all the draft orders only last week, the closure was classed the same as road closure for a motorsport event and hence the crossing point had been removed and the pavements were closed.

Gov. website on road clusures

So if the draft order was only supplied last week, then is this actually a 'legal' road closure order????

From above Gov. link:-

Application Forms and standard terms and conditions are available by contacting Highways Administration. For details of how to contact them, click on the Contact icon at the top of the page.

A minimum of 21 days notice must be allowed from receipt of the Application.

All Temporary road closures are advertised in the local press and 7 clear days must occur between the date of the advertisement and the road being closed.

The first I knew about it was when I spotted a small poster in Governors Hill, which lead me to download (and rename) the broken PDF link from the Government website.

I'm sure there's going to be *lots* of fairly irate people who are completely unaware of the situation. TT\MGP is fair enough, there's always the access road..

The big signs plastered all over Ballanard Road, Johnny Wattersons lane and Glencrutchery Road must obviously be in some unknown language then as they have been there a good couple of weeks. It is for 4 or 5 hours there is a bridge if you are desperate to get out.

Exactly Thommo, you would have thought one of them would have learned to read

Roads closed PDF.

This seemed to have been kept very quiet - they've only known about the games for what - four or five years now??

Hardly an inconvenience is it. It is a corporation housing estate where people are living in subsidised housing. They should expect a little inconvenience from time to time

I never realised the properties along by the grandstand, Governors Hill and the new estate on JW's lane were corpy housing??

The signs cant be that big as I know a number of people who were talking about this only last night and are going to have hassle becase of the closures.

Are the closures actually legal though -

All Temporary road closures are advertised in the local press and 7 clear days must occur between the date of the advertisement and the road being closed.

It's a one off event, not even one day in a year it's a once ever event!

I don't have a problem with the closure itself, it's the piss poor communication I have an issue with.

Yes, there are signs but I prefer to concentrate on the road rather than read whatever is littering the side of it. Even then most will simply assume that there will still be access elsewhere as there is for the TT/MGP.

It's a one off event, not even one day in a year it's a once ever event!

I don't have a problem with the closure itself, it's the piss poor communication I have an issue with.

Yes, there are signs but I prefer to concentrate on the road rather than read whatever is littering the side of it. Even then most will simply assume that there will still be access elsewhere as there is for the TT/MGP.

Well you know what they say about assumeing, it makes an ass of u and me.

You say there are signs but you didn't bother reading them so whos fault is that then?

Archived