Manx 2 Crash At Ronaldsway

Mac the Knife

There are some rumours flying around of money via the back door of the treasury for the exec terminal but that can't surely be true ! as far as I know however the people who were visible behind it don't have the cash, I believe the original financier was to have been Trevor Baines.

Just how much money is there to be spent on Ronaldsway Airport ? I believe that the latest concession to 'comfort for the rich away from the commoners' is being built with 'Private' money. Is this right? If so please don't ask me to believe that the Government have not had some imput, but how will we ever find out ? The vast sums spent down there over recent years are unbelievable. Several years ago some Island 'Big Wig' expounded that 'we could not have rich and influential visitors arriving to what amounted to a Banana Republic airport'. Well no-one could accuse us of that now. People arriving must gaze in amazement at the beauty of our Airport [For 80,000 residents] Cuts everywhere [for those who cant fight back] but for the Airport - a bottomless pit. PS - I hope proper surveys are going on to protect an ancient settlement and burial ground

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://avherald.com/...=44c26035&opt=0

A remarkable series of pictures have been posted on the above site. They cover the whole landing and roll out sequence, and appear to show an initial departure from the paved surface, throwing up earth and mud, then regaining the runway before the right gear collapses and the aeroplane deviates sharply to the right, departing the runway and coming to a halt.

Anyone else find this sentence "the crew of another aircraft reported the accident to tower who then alerted emergency services" a little bit worrying.

Surely ATC in the visual control room are there to watch the planes and make sure they land safely, not be informed by another a/c that there is a problem? What are we paying these people £60k a year to do?

Of course this might not be the case, but if it is, worrying

Yes LC, that wording does sound worrying, but it isn't necessarily the whole picture. On another site a post by someone purporting to be the Tower Controller reads:

"Thanks ... for your account but it is a bit off. I was the Tower Controller on at the time. I saw the whole incident and had pressed the AFS Crash Alarm while it was still skidding down the runway producing sparks. The AFS responded with 2 minutes. The pilot from ... (which I am assuming was you) did not actually declare an emergency and the words from the JS31 pilot was actually "I think we have burst a tyre"."

That thought occured to me although just because someone reported it doesn't necessarily mean the controller hadn't already acted. They should have been ready to issue taxi instructions on the aircraft leaving the active runway which (depending on speed and the rate of slowing) could have been within 10 seconds looking at the aircraft's pre-incident position. We just can't know the exact sequence of events in the tower until the AAIB report is eventually published.

Edited to add guzzi's post wan't seen before I posted.

Yes, the 'Private Jet Centre' is being built with 'private' money

the government isnt putting anything into it, they are getting something out of it.

LOL, one of the alleged investors has moved from africa house to jurby. rumour has it the foundations were started to keep the planning alive and then try and find the real money needed later, possibly dangling a permanent building site/eyesore at the airport infront of tynwally to get them to cough up??

possibly dangling a permanent building site/eyesore at the airport infront of tynwally to get them to cough up??

It certainly is not a thing of any architectural merit so far - cheap and cheerless.

The special bulletin says that the right main gear collapsed on touchdown because there was a corrosion crack in part of the landing gear. The crack had been around for some time before the accident. The crack had not been detected by a visual inspection that was done 11 days before the accident, and possibly also missed by a specialized technical examination months before the accident. The landing was not so heavy that it should have caused the gear to fail.

Corrosion cracking in the relevant component has been known about for some time in this aircraft type, and a directive mandating engineering inspections was already in force. The AAIB has recommended that this directive should be reviewed because the mandated procedure didn't pick up the fault on this aircraft.

The AAIB are looking in detail at the exact failure sequence, and a further report will be published.

Nice precis Guzzi.

The landing, whilst within the design limit of the landing gear, was firm, and proved to be the straw that broke this ill camel's back.

It was going to happen sooner or later with the crack remaining undiscovered.

It appears the crew were not to blame for this accident. In fact they appear to have dealt very well with an unexpected event.

Rightly the investigation is looking at how and why the crack was not spotted during prescribed maintenance checks for the already identified problem with the undercarriage on this aircraft type.

MMP

Archived