Vega Test Food Intolerance

Manxman27

Probably a good bet is to get a book from Waterstones and test yourself. There is a certain method in testing which involves leaving out certain foods then re-introducing them. Just abstaining from the affecting food for a while and reintroducing can help food intolerance.

Thats a good idea Aquarius. Failing that, I'm sure doctors do some kind of allergy test where they test patches of things on your skin but that might be for something other than food allergies come to think of it. The doctor would probably be able to put you in touch with a dietician who would certainly be able to sort you out. It's quite mad how many normal things cause chaos in your life, feather pillows kill me.

Food intolerance and allergy can be two different things. If you're lactose intolerant, for example, you lack the enzyme to digest it, so you end up with a load of undigested sugar in your gut which draws in the water, with obvious effects when it reaches the other end. Allergies (seafood is a relatively common one) are when the immune system reacts too strongly to certain things, and causes symptoms like you may get with hay fever, or in more extreme cases anaphylactic shock and cardio-respiratory failure.

To test for food intolerances you have to withdraw the substance from the diet, assess its effect on symptoms, then re-introduce it in a controlled way to see if symptoms reappear. As it's usually not an allergy skin testing won't help.

Coeliac disease is a bit of both - it is an allergy to a particular wheat protein, but the upshot is atrophy of certain gut cells leading to malabsorption and malnutrition. Classically the diagnosis is made by introducing a gluten free diet, intestinal biopsy, then a 'gluten challenge' and another biopsy. Even though it's an allergy I don't think skin testing works, probably because it's mediated through immunoglobulin A rather than immunoglobulin E. (I may be a humble bonesetter, but I did a degree in immunology between my 2nd and 3rd years at med school, and can vaguely remember some of it!)

Archived