How To Pronounce Manx Names?

NeverAgain

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also remember hearing a couple of old people referring to Port Erin as Port Earin. Haven't heard that for many years though & it wasn't all that common then as I remember.

I live just outside the Port, and all the locals pronounce it with the emphasis on the Ear..in. All the comeovers emphasis it as Port Errin.

The one time I was in the studio at Manx Radio I noticed a list pinned to the notice-board of Manx names and their pronunciations, including place names and personal names. Perhaps they'll publish it if asked nicely.

One that gets me is Callister/Collister - are they pronounced the same, or do you just say it how it's spelt? I do the latter.

I know a family of Callisters who pronounce it Callister. Saying that, I've honestly forgotten how to pronounce my own surname correctly - Johnstone. I forgot some time ago whether it's JohnSTONE or JohnSTON. For some reason i've used both pronunciations over the years and I can't remember which is the correct one.

I'd better check that out.

Yes, you have. The comeovers are right. It is almost like 'Tie'. Never 'thigh'. But it is a 't' that begins from behind the front teeth (it sounds like a bit of a wet 't') rather than higher up on the palette as with 't' in english.

Same as 'tholtans' pronounced as read in an English way. It should be 'toltans'.

Opposite where I lived in Ballabeg as a teenager the house was called Toi lwonh ome.

I was convinced it was Manx, until I wrote it on a piece of paper to look up at the museum, (before computers) and twigged, Duuurrgh!

a little help from the irish to keep the native langauge alive

Over sixty years ago, the Irish Folklore Commission made recordings of the last native Manx speakers.

In doing so, the Commission ensured the preservation of the Manx language for generations to come.

The invaluable recordings arrived at the Manx Museum in this simple wooden crate which today symbolises the preservation of our Manx heritage.

The crate has been chosen as one of the most significant items of historical interest on the Isle of Man today.

It was summer 1947 and Irish Taeshoch, Eamon de Valera was visiting the Isle of Man as part of a tour around the Irish Sea. During his sojourn on the island, de Valera, a fervent advocate of Irish Gaelic, met and spoke with Ned Maddrell, a native Manx speaker.

Recording unit arrives in Mann

De Valera spoke Irish; Maddrell Manx but the languages were close enough for communication. What de Valera learnt alarmed him: the Manx language was dying out and the Manx museum had no technical means to record the last speakers.

On returning to Ireland, de Valera demanded that the Irish Folklore Commission immediately send a mobile recording unit to the island and in 1948 this van trundled into Douglas, fresh off an Irish Cattle boat and covered with cow dung.

Mother tongue recordings

The van made its way up to remote farms in Ballaugh and Bride, as well as to the village of Cregneash where Danaher recorded speakers whose mother tongue was 19th century Manx.

The recordings that were made have been crucial to the preservation of the Manx language because they captured Manx as it was naturally spoken in the past.

o.gif

start_quote.gifThe object itself is very rough and very humbleend_quote.gif

Kirsty Neate

The crate they came is a reminder to us all of the importance of our rich heritage.

Manx Museum's Kirsty Neate said "The object itself is very rough and very humble. Perhaps it's not something we would immediately associate with importance in world history but what it brought back to the Isle of Man was invaluable.

"The cultural goodies carried inside have helped many people in their quest to learn Manx. The recordings have now been digitised and published."

"Today these recordings have been re-mastered, digitised and published with full transcriptions and translations and have proved a priceless link back to the native Manx speakers for modern Manx linguists and have ensured the survival of the language".

The recordings are available at Manx National Heritage.

Archived