Dear Mr Bus Driver Please Go On Strike

spermann

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it isn't that it can't be done for less, it is expecting people that have been living a lifestyle and have financial commitments and outgoings based on whatever they get at the end of the week now, to accept around 100 quid a week pay cut. for them to be happy about it cos they were on a good earner isn't going to be liked. some of them will have mortgages that they can't afford when minus a 100 quid a week. some will just have to miss their 3 weeks in america holidays, but the guy that has to loose his house won't stop fighting regardless of how unfair his pay rate actually is or appears to be.

some of them will have mortgages that they can't afford when minus a 100 quid a week.

I always think the point is a bit of a red herring as many of those mortgages will have been in place for a considerable period and unlike other products do not increase year on year due to inflation. When they have past increases should those with mortgages not have had less of a pay rise than those who rented privately?

My mortgage is over 10 years old as a percentage of my income it has decreased over the years as it has basically stayed the same but my income has increased. The same applies for many I employ

Listening to manx radio this morning Alexi Holmes made it clear that a ballot had been agreed with the employers for some reason, this appears a bit unusual given it is a union that is having the ballot, some collusion perhaps behind the scenes going on here? If true and the ballot is just as simple a question as to do you accept or reject the proposed taking away of paid lunch breaks, this is not a ballot for industrial action. If they reject the proposal Holmes will have to then conduct another ballot which is a bit stupid when it could have all been done in one hit, waste of members money really but good for the public as from my calculations any strike action would take place around the next half term period so limited disruption for the hard working public who use the bus service as schools could be on a holiday period.

It was a shame JD didn't ask him whether his other members were happy with the prospect of having to lose pay by not being able to get to work or may be having to take time of work because the kids couldn't get to school. JD didn't ask what the union was reccommending to its members whether to accept or reject the proposal. I wonder if the cement Holmes spoke about weeks ago, cementing the unions, all in it together bullshit, I bet the inspectors and managers still drive the buses if the drivers strike so we may not notice much anyway. Be interesting to see where Prospect and GOA are when it comes to supporting their colleagues who drive the buses. Bring it on!!!!!

I'm all for unions protecting vulnerable workers but unions to protect cushty, overpaid jobs that are a drain on the public purse kind of defeats the whole object of what unions were built for.

Next stop, baggage handlers......

Listening to manx radio this morning Alexi Holmes made it clear that a ballot had been agreed with the employers for some reason, this appears a bit unusual given it is a union that is having the ballot, some collusion perhaps behind the scenes going on here? If true and the ballot is just as simple a question as to do you accept or reject the proposed taking away of paid lunch breaks, this is not a ballot for industrial action. If they reject the proposal Holmes will have to then conduct another ballot which is a bit stupid when it could have all been done in one hit, waste of members money really but good for the public as from my calculations any strike action would take place around the next half term period so limited disruption for the hard working public who use the bus service as schools could be on a holiday period.

It was a shame JD didn't ask him whether his other members were happy with the prospect of having to lose pay by not being able to get to work or may be having to take time of work because the kids couldn't get to school. JD didn't ask what the union was reccommending to its members whether to accept or reject the proposal. I wonder if the cement Holmes spoke about weeks ago, cementing the unions, all in it together bullshit, I bet the inspectors and managers still drive the buses if the drivers strike so we may not notice much anyway. Be interesting to see where Prospect and GOA are when it comes to supporting their colleagues who drive the buses. Bring it on!!!!!

That nails the basic problem, if the managers and inspectors can cover a strike why employ as many as we do?

Answer: To drive about most of the day in buses with one maybe two OAPs not paying a fare.

Give the OAPs a voucher for taxis and just run a School Bus service that is put out to tender and staffed by part time retirees looking for a bit of extra money.

The island is too small to try and have a public transport system to reduce car usage and for green reasons, it just wont work. The road network will not allow Park and Ride to function so lets stop playing at trains and buses and save some money.

it isn't that it can't be done for less, it is expecting people that have been living a lifestyle and have financial commitments and outgoings based on whatever they get at the end of the week now, to accept around 100 quid a week pay cut. for them to be happy about it cos they were on a good earner isn't going to be liked. some of them will have mortgages that they can't afford when minus a 100 quid a week. some will just have to miss their 3 weeks in america holidays, but the guy that has to loose his house won't stop fighting regardless of how unfair his pay rate actually is or appears to be.

Whilst acknowledging that they are on an excellent pay package, you cannot expect them to be happy and perhaps they are only following our political elite who were quick enough to say they had families etc to support when the subject of paying a tiny proportion to their diamond encrusted pension came up

Ellin Vannin has a valid point.

Why should they take cuts when our elected representatives wont even pay a fair amount into their pensions.

It works both ways let the MHKS show the way either its cuts for all or i would support the unions to strike.

Whilst acknowledging that they are on an excellent pay package, you cannot expect them to be happy and perhaps they are only following our political elite who were quick enough to say they had families etc to support when the subject of paying a tiny proportion to their diamond encrusted pension came up

They all know they are on a massive winner and that's why they will fight hard for it including striking - but they shouldn't expect public sympathy. I couldn't give a shit whether the buses are running are not and I think that with the exception of pensioners nobody else does either. Being paid close to £38,000 to drive a bus is simply not defendable by any stretch of the imagination in a global recession and the only people they should be angry with is Cretney the bus drivers' friend and a whole host of other gutless Manx politicians who have been incapable of standing up to the unions over the years. They have sold the bus workers false aspirations and false hopes. They have allowed them to buy houses and have lifestyles funded by wages that would be crazy in the commercial world. It is they who are solely responsible for this mess because they couldn't say NO to save their lives until it became clear that there is absolutely no money left to fund this madness.

you still dont get it they are only being paid that when they put in the hours as i've said before do you expect them to work for nothing after 37 hours. would you work for free. the wages bill is not just the drivers its the management and duty managers(new name for bus inspectors) ask the goverment to say what they are earning i've seen managers out driving buses as casuals being paid casual rates.(and this was told to me by a driver who is piss off with the miss information put out by the bus management.) at the same time they are empolyed as managers then to be told by drivers the managers are putting in for overtime because they cannot do there job they are paid to do in the hours they are given. because they are casual bus drivers as well.who taking the piss now.they are the ones who wear the white shirts and black ties.if the bus service can not be run on drivers doing 37 hours a week . then cut it or employ more drivers .cannot have drivers earning more. read other threads they are not the highest paid they just do more hours than most bus companys across because we have no driving hours laws on this rock.start asking drivers if they are a manager then ask why they are not doing the job they are suposed to be doing cause if they can drive a bus it must mean they are not needed as management.

Rugger the problem is Bus drivers are overpaid for the job they do.

I would say 50% too much.

However if the Government want to start cutting peoples wages then they have to look at the bloated management in the Civil Service first.

They wont do that as they are all protecting their nest eggs untill the money runs out.

I would support any strike and i hope the unions join together and go out on this one to show the Chief Executives the workforce has had enough.

Rugger the problem is Bus drivers are overpaid for the job they do.

I would say 50% too much.

However if the Government want to start cutting peoples wages then they have to look at the bloated management in the Civil Service first.

They wont do that as they are all protecting their nest eggs untill the money runs out.

I would support any strike and i hope the unions join together and go out on this one to show the Chief Executives the workforce has had enough.

how are they over paid. they are paid the same as drivers in the uk and i'm talking about the big boys.there basic is the same as fully trained drivers not trainee drivers who are paying back training costs to the company for there first 2 years. so when someone come on here and says they have seen adverts for come drive this bus for said amount of money that is trainee money not if you go to that company with a psv licence fact.it is the amount of hours that the drivers are doing that is putting there money up, as i keep saying would you like to work for free after your basic hours and with the amount of shit the drivers have had to put up with since this all came out. no one should have to put up with that no matter how much they are paid.

http://www.payscale....ver/Hourly_Rate

Around here we have First as the provider:

http://www.payscale....ate/by_Employer

Just to do the maths for a moment a First bus driver get's about £19k pa. If an hour per day equates to £100 per week then a first cut indicates Bus Vannin drivers are on twice the UK rate, at least twice those here in Manchester anyway.

So what is the hourly rate for a Bus Vannin employee?

Now I have nothing against a government sharing out the nation's largesse among it's citizens. That's how it should be. Conversely when times are hard then the pain should be spread around as well. Unfortunately Tynwalds determination to occupy the moral low ground vis-a-vis pension contributions and so forth makes it impossible for them to lead by example. Basically they are trying to lead from the rear....

http://www.payscale....ver/Hourly_Rate

Around here we have First as the provider:

http://www.payscale....ate/by_Employer

Just to do the maths for a moment a First bus driver get's about £19k pa. If an hour per day equates to £100 per week then a first cut indicates Bus Vannin drivers are on twice the UK rate, at least twice those here in Manchester anyway.

So what is the hourly rate for a Bus Vannin employee?

Now I have nothing against a government sharing out the nation's largesse among it's citizens. That's how it should be. Conversely when times are hard then the pain should be spread around as well. Unfortunately Tynwalds determination to occupy the moral low ground vis-a-vis pension contributions and so forth makes it impossible for them to lead by example. Basically they are trying to lead from the rear....

thanks for putting up links but they are out of date and as i said they are for trainee drivers who are paying back training costs. and first manchester drivers who already have psv or should i say pcv as that is what they are called in the uk. are on a lot more than that once they get there shift allouances

Archived