Local Retailers Taking The P**s

Matt Bawden

Retailers do stick on a fair markup. But some places, it's understandable.

Raymotors, they aren't cheap, but they're very likely to have what you need in some shape or form, plus the staff are very helpful. They've saved my bacon a good few times.

Totally agree about Raymotors, I am building a working scale replica of CERN's large hadron collider in my basement and I ran out of Dipole magnet's last night. I popped round to Raymotors and yep, in their electrical section, there was the part I needed.

Only trouble was it cost me 3 times what I would expect to pay to my normal supplier Dzhokhar Dudayev.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right......rant time....I bought 40 Jutland cement roofing tiles from Haldane Fisher for £1.44 +VAT each and yet from the Roofing Superstore and other UK outlets they are as little as £0.64-£0.71 +VAT each, now I know we have to factor in shipping costs but seriously more than double the cost of here than in the UK........wtf?

You've only factored in one outlet in the IOM, how about the other building supply companies?, Prices vary massively between them.

Raymotors, they aren't cheap, but they're very likely to have what you need in some shape or form, plus the staff are very helpful. They've saved my bacon a good few times.

Totally agree about Raymotors, I am building a working scale replica of CERN's large hadron collider in my basement and I ran out of Dipole magnet's last night. I popped round to Raymotors and yep, in their electrical section, there was the part I needed.

Only trouble was it cost me 3 times what I would expect to pay to my normal supplier Dzhokhar Dudayev.

For my home grown particle accelerator I used these people when Dzhokhar is hard to get hold of http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_11&products_id=171

For my home grown particle accelerator I used these people when Dzhokhar is hard to get hold of http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_11&products_id=171

You really shouldn't trust that guy - he's well-known for supplying faulty goods, or supplying second-hand ones as new. Some of the Russian brides he's supplied were apparently described as being 'like Russian tennis players' turned out to have more in common with Mikhail Youzhny than Maria Sharapova. Not only that, but his staff are only paid minimum wage rates!

Right......rant time....I bought 40 Jutland cement roofing tiles from Haldane Fisher for £1.44 +VAT each and yet from the Roofing Superstore and other UK outlets they are as little as £0.64-£0.71 +VAT each, now I know we have to factor in shipping costs but seriously more than double the cost of here than in the UK........wtf?

You've only factored in one outlet in the IOM, how about the other building supply companies?, Prices vary massively between them.

That's a fair point but I was only targeting the greedy ones....when one person posts something there comes a raft of people with similar experiences, there are also those that defend against that post, there are those that post funny quips and witticisms and unfortunately there are those that because abusive...just the way things are.

I wasn't in any way saying that all local retailers are greedy, there are some excellent local retailers where fair prices are charged and customer service is second to none!

What are you doing Matt? Upgrading the house you were on here abusing the intended purchaser of a few months ago because you got a bad survey result? You really talk a load of shit. You have no idea about importation costs, or what it takes to make a profit for a business. You get paid to do stuff, regardless of cost, by people we pay to manage our economy badly. Try importing the same stuff yourself and see what it costs you.

Do you need a hug?

What are you doing Matt? Upgrading the house you were on here abusing the intended purchaser of a few months ago because you got a bad survey result? You really talk a load of shit. You have no idea about importation costs, or what it takes to make a profit for a business. You get paid to do stuff, regardless of cost, by people we pay to manage our economy badly. Try importing the same stuff yourself and see what it costs you.

Why are you personally attacking Matt? perhaps publish your real name and job title/description and level the playing field?

That's a fair point but I was only targeting the greedy ones....when one person posts something there comes a raft of people with similar experiences, there are also those that defend against that post, there are those that post funny quips and witticisms and unfortunately there are those that because abusive...just the way things are.

I wasn't in any way saying that all local retailers are greedy, there are some excellent local retailers where fair prices are charged and customer service is second to none!

Prices change all the time though, building supplies are like supermarkets if you compare things in Shoprite V Tesco you notice some things cheaper in one than the other.

B&Q is the same, sometimes stuff is cheaper but in my experience around 90% of the time I could've found it cheaper, but i've paid for the convenience.

Why are you personally attacking Matt?

Because he's hard.

Does it quite regularly.

Prices change all the time though, building supplies are like supermarkets if you compare things in Shoprite V Tesco you notice some things cheaper in one than the other.

B&Q is the same, sometimes stuff is cheaper but in my experience around 90% of the time I could've found it cheaper, but i've paid for the convenience.

Fair enough, it was that I looked online for the tiles and they were around 70p each so I went up to Haldanee Fisher expecting to pay 90p ish but was taken aback at £1.44 each, I know it seems quite tight of me but our household only has one income so I have to be fairly frugal :-)

Why are you personally attacking Matt? perhaps publish your real name and job title/description and level the playing field?

Because I find most of his posts knobbish and naïve, and in this specific instance because he was on here slagging off someone as a virual conman over the survey on his house, and yet a month or so later he is clearly undertaking some sort of building work so maybe his paranoid accusations and assertions at the time were also bollocks?

Because I find most of his posts knobbish and naïve, and in this specific instance because he was on here slagging off someone as a virual conman over the survey on his house, and yet a month or so later he is clearly undertaking some sort of building work so maybe his paranoid accusations and assertions at the time were also bollocks?

Ah, assumptions again, they do not serve you well my angry friend. I would take the time to yet explain the scenario regarding the Surveyor but you're not the kind of person to be swayed no matter what is put in front of you, so I shan't bother.

Archived