Recommend A Builder , Please.

mbx

I need to have work done in a shower room and a bathroom but am wary of builders having been ripped off in the past.

I need to have the chipboard removed and replaced, then tiled and a showertray replaced and then the cubicle re-tiled.

I used one of the property maintenance companies about 6 years ago and ended up taking them to court.

If someone knows a sole trader that wants some indoor work then let me know.

Cheers

I know a plumber (former forumite) who does tiling and I know he's done work for other forum members and they have been very happy with his work. If he can't do the job himself I am sure he would know someone who could. I'll dig his details out and PM you dude. :)

I can personally recommend Tom Rowe.

http://probuild-iom.com/

Very skilled, knowledgeable and perhaps most importantly honest.

Only problem you might find is availability, I know he's chokka at the moment...primarily because he's building me a house! But worth a chat.

This also isn't one of those recommendations because I know someone and want to put in a good word, over the years I've been genuinely impressed with his work and wouldn't recommend anyone if that wasn't the case.

I need to have work done in a shower room and a bathroom but am wary of builders having been ripped off in the past.

I need to have the chipboard removed and replaced, then tiled and a showertray replaced and then the cubicle re-tiled.

I used one of the property maintenance companies about 6 years ago and ended up taking them to court.

Cheers

I would replace the 'chipboard' with shuttering ply (3/4 inch) covered with a waterproof cladding (or purpose manufactured product) prior to fixing tiles .

"Showers all eventually leak" so not a bad idea to ensure that you have access to the area under the shower tray to spot any problems early on.

I wish you luck

I would replace the 'chipboard' with shuttering ply (3/4 inch) covered with a waterproof cladding (or purpose manufactured product) prior to fixing tiles .

"Showers all eventually leak" so not a bad idea to ensure that you have access to the area under the shower tray to spot any problems early on.

That's exactly one of the things that should've been done by the previous cowboys. Their half-arsed bath sealing efforts have been leaking and gone under the floor tiles..

Cheers

I wish you luck

For the bit of extra cost I always use Water proof & boil proof plywood (WPBP) for floor and wall cladding in bathrooms/shower areas.

You might want to consider fitting some wall insulation at the same time as installing new ply.

Shuttering ply in a bathroom? What a cowboy. It's no wonder your showers leak.

Cheers

I wish you luck

For the bit of extra cost I always use Water proof & boil proof plywood (WPBP) for floor and wall cladding in bathrooms/shower areas.

You might want to consider fitting some wall insulation at the same time as installing new ply.

Fair enough, I should have said 'at least' shuttering ply, and was referring to the walls of the shower enclosure.

I have seen a 'recent build' property where the walls to the shower enclosure were constructed of plasterboard and tiled!

If the shower is sited on any floor other than the ground floor I was always minded to dress in a lead 'under tray' to catch any leaks, particularly if the property was split into flats as a wooden floor by it's very nature will move and break "silicone seals" and water can then be transferred out by capillary action.

If an adjustable (by means of adjustable feet) is to be installed it's not a bad idea to jack up the tray, after the silicone seal has been applied and dried, so the seal bulges out slightly to discourage it from breaking when the shower is in use.

Archived