What are the cushiest job/s in IOM Government?

mrmadmanx

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree Chutney, followed pretty closely by police. Yes, it can be difficult job, for some, but wow! The rewards, the rewards (ie ££££££) throughout the ever promoting career and the early age pension lump sum etc.

Have you made provisions for your own retirement...?

When self employed 20-30 years ago i managed to save in a pension fund by putting all i could into it. That now pays me a little over £1300....a year. And with factors such as the Government set GAD rate, that could go down even further.

Whilst reasonably fit i then put all my available cash into a property, spent a couple of years working every spare hour I could bringing it up to standard to let 'for my retirement'. That now returns £120 or so a week but the outgoings (insurances, rates, repairs, rental voids, legal costs evicting a particularly litigious and nasty tenant, etc) bring that down to about £20-£30 week. It's not a lot but I know the work I have had to do for my pension.

So yeah, quilp, I've made my provisions.

A Government employee will get their pension rolling in regardless of anything. Index linked and gold-plated, some with many hundreds a week pension after their massive lump sum.and it rolls on in like the tide, regular and unstoppable.

I'd agree Chutney, followed pretty closely by police. Yes, it can be difficult job, for some, but wow! The rewards, the rewards (ie ££££££) throughout the ever promoting career and the early age pension lump sum etc.

Have you made provisions for your own retirement...?

When self employed 20-30 years ago i managed to save in a pension fund by putting all i could into it. That now pays me a little over £1300....a year. And with factors such as the Government set GAD rate, that could go down even further.

Whilst reasonably fit i then put all my available cash into a property, spent a couple of years working every spare hour I could bringing it up to standard to let 'for my retirement'. That now returns £120 or so a week but the outgoings (insurances, rates, repairs, rental voids, legal costs evicting a particularly litigious and nasty tenant, etc) bring that down to about £20-£30 week. It's not a lot but I know the work I have had to do for my pension.

So yeah, quilp, I've made my provisions.

A Government employee will get their pension rolling in regardless of anything. Index linked and gold-plated, some with many hundreds a week pension after their massive lump sum.and it rolls on in like the tide, regular and unstoppable.

When there's no money left to pay these over-promised and under-financed pensions there will be a default of sorts. It's unavoidable. There will be a renegotiation of terms. Guaranteed.

Fire / man / woman / person / fighter

I so wanted to say this but feared the backlash :)

And they know it, they are so pleased with themselves and especially love to brag as retirement beckons.

OK, the fire service is a difficult and dangerous job at times and I respect every single one of them for that.

But they have excellent working conditions, hours, pay and pension. I suppose that makes up for the possible and perceived dangers, even death. That certainly has happened on the UK mainland over my lifetime, I'm not sure about here.

My first job was as a building labourer. At the time, one of the guys was killed in a trench (Snugborough Trading Estate built by Fuschia Homes/Gillings). Another of my colleagues left to get a job driving a digger. He was killed at work too (about 10 years ago). There have been a few building labourer deaths over the years. Their pay, conditions, pension and early retirement scheme are next nought in comparison.

just saying, like.

So back on topic. Building labourer - least cushiest job.

Fire / man / woman / person / fighter

I so wanted to say this but feared the backlash :)

And they know it, they are so pleased with themselves and especially love to brag as retirement beckons.

OK, the fire service is a difficult and dangerous job at times and I respect every single one of them for that.

But they have excellent working conditions, hours, pay and pension. I suppose that makes up for the possible and perceived dangers, even death. That certainly has happened on the UK mainland over my lifetime, I'm not sure about here.

My first job was as a building labourer. At the time, one of the guys was killed in a trench (Snugborough Trading Estate built by Fuschia Homes/Gillings). Another of my colleagues left to get a job driving a digger. He was killed at work too (about 10 years ago). There have been a few building labourer deaths over the years. Their pay, conditions, pension and early retirement scheme are next nought in comparison.

just saying, like.

So back on topic. Building labourer - least cushiest job.

Mate of mine is a fireman across and he says they are told not to enter situations that could present a danger to their life so the 'danger money' argument doesn't really come into it. They just have very good union reps.

Don't they pay a massive percentage of their income so they can retire rarely?

It's tough work - it just surprises me that we will soon have 70 year old PE teachers in schools trying to keep up 12 year olds. Still, they could always fall back on their 2nd subject (Goegraphy) to carry them through.

I think the gov. employee who processes MHK resignation letters must be on a good dodge. Probably seeking to hire an assistant anytime soon.

Archived