Manx honey - who sells it?

war baby

Hi Foodies,

Can anyone point to me to a local supplier of good old fashioned pure honey on the island?

Thanks, WB.

Try Harry Owens, just opposite the Slieawhallian Road junction on Patrick Road, St. Johns (by the little bridge)

has a yellow sign outside for honey

or Edric Cross @ Arg Beiyn vets (usually has it on the counter)

beware, some 'Manx' honey sold almost everywhere allegedly seems to be blended with some sourced from 'the sunny countries of the world' :( ~ either that, or their bees work 100x harder than the rest of the Island's colonies !

You have the read the label properly. There's a company who sell Manx honey from St Marks (available in Shoprite) but they also sell a version which is from other countries. They do differentiate on the label which is from the Isle of Man and which is not.

I'm afraid they have lost any chance of selling any product to me because I have seen the pollen analysis on a sample many years ago where out of all the samples obtained from all the other local producers and sent for analysis there was only which had eucalyptus and other 'non native' (if that's not racist !) pollens in it.

I stick to hobby apiarists (except stuff for cooking purposes)

There are a couple who live at the top of Richmond Hill, on the right hand side going up, ( can't remember the house name, but it is Manx) who produce their own honey, ( well their own bees do).

Top stuff I am told. smile.png

Thie Mwyllin

Yep, thats the place smile.png

There are a couple who live at the top of Richmond Hill, on the right hand side going up, ( can't remember the house name, but it is Manx) who produce their own honey, ( well their own bees do).

Top stuff I am told. smile.png

Thie Mwyllin

Yep, thats the place smile.png

was talking to them at the show on friday

Do not buy the stuff labelled from St Marks, (Corvalley, is it?) it is shipped in. Pay the premium for Manx honey. There was a stand at the Southern show of Manx honey, plenty to taste. I bought one from bees from Union Mills.

lots of manx honey producers, the st marks import brigade i wouldn't use on principle, 'blended'??? get in touch with the isle of man bee keepers association and get a list of producers. not everyone parts with their honey.

Do any of them sell a chunk of honeycomb dripping with honey? You used to be able to get it from health food shops but I can't seem to find it anymore.

probably some do, but they have to plan ahead to use new un-wired foundation if they want to do that, the usual 'super' frames are re-used by the bees and have embedded wire strengthening in it which means you can't use it for 'cut comb' sales.

try phoning some of the keepers on the map in the link earlier

Archived