Sure Tariff Changes

ans

So, my contract is up and I wandered into the shop today to look at some handsets. Had a chat with the sales assistant who agreed with my initial assessment that I was paying more and getting less if I renewed, and then let slip that not only that, but receiving calls in the UK now costs 30p per call unless I buy the £5 a month booster. Seeing as I travel away for work fairly regularly, that's just made the contract even *more* expensive to renew.

Given that the Sure signal has always been weaker compared to my MT wielding mates, the only thing that kept me with them was the better value of the contract. Now that's gone, goodbye Sure! Picked up a price guide from MT and will port across next week when I've worked out what phone I want (they didn't have the M8 apparently which is the phone I was keen on)

Are you sure about this? I was told that incoming calls are charged only on PAYG in the UK and that I would still be getting free incoming calls in the UK.

I was warned that I would get an automatic text (if I go to the UK )that I would be charged 30p per min for incoming calls but that I could ignore this.

The assistant was explicit. I questioned it twice and told the same thing both times.

Their website is.... misleading in my view. It says in the roaming table this;

GgSe7XF.png

Yet, above that in the text, it says "Please note that the charges for receiving calls whilst roaming in the table below are correct if you have a Roaming Call and Text Booster. Receiving calls is not free on Smart and Basic plans without a booster."

if you are looking at dual sim phone be aware that they usually only allow the use os data/3G/4G on one of the sims only, the other slot doesn't allow it, also I don't think both sims can be on at the same time, you have to decide at switch on which sim to use. one phone I looked at ( cant remember which ) switched sims every time you turned the phone on. in short dual sim phones are not the same as having 2 phones rolled into one handset, there are limitations.

On my previous phone a Cubot P6 both SIMs were active and would respond to any call. If someone called on the other SIM while you were on a call they would have to leave a voicemail or call back later. The same applies to my newer Moto G. It will receive calls on both SIMs, but obviously only one call can be in progress at a time.

On the Cubot it would only give 3G on the main SIM and a slower data service on the other, so I just swapped the SIMs around depending on where I was.

I think the Moto G does 3G on both SIM positions.

The UK service providers haven't really embraced dual SIM yet, but they'll just have to at some point. They probably don't care much for the idea of you using another SIM for roaming and costing them the revenue that generates.

if you are looking at dual sim phone be aware that they usually only allow the use os data/3G/4G on one of the sims only, the other slot doesn't allow it, also I don't think both sims can be on at the same time, you have to decide at switch on which sim to use. one phone I looked at ( cant remember which ) switched sims every time you turned the phone on. in short dual sim phones are not the same as having 2 phones rolled into one handset, there are limitations.

I think that you are talking about dual sim standby phones which are more common. Dual sim active phones can handle 2 calls at the same time but are not that easy to find in shops.

Best bet is eBay.

Carrying two phones is a pain. I don't think either MT or Sure will have dual SIM phones. It's not in their best interest.

Besides, they are the worst possible place to buy a phone. If you want a contract free phone buy one on Amazon.

Here's the one I'm currently using.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NBSZ56C

Then just switch your number to being a SIM only contract or PAYG.

If you are visiting the UK frequently or need a UK mobile number for use in the Isle of Man (so that UK based clients don't have to pay extra charges) have a look at mobile by Sainsburys.

You get a Uk number and Receiving calls in the IOM is free.Its 8p/min to call the UK/IOM from the IOM. 4p per text and 5p per MB of data. Another advantage for me is that if you travel to Dubai receiving calls is free. You don't even need a contract either and the above charges are on Pay as you go.

Archived