Id Cards

marcus

I know the Police in general would welcome them, illegal immigrants and all of that.

I've not see anything to suggest that the Police would want them. Also bear in mind that their job is to enforce the law, not make it. While I can understand them wanting something (like tazers and CS gas or harsher sentences for attacking police) which affects performance of their duties I doesn't see what basis they've got for wanting ID cards.

The MO of illegal immigrants (or economic migrants) will not change with the introduction of ID cards. They still come into the country and keep a low profile and become part of the grey and/or black economy. They do that at the moment because they don't have legitimate documents such as a passport and NI number, so I don't see how adding ID cards will change anyhting greatly.

The whole thing seems to be me to be ill-conceived, populist bollocks which will do nothing more than run up taxes, infringe freedom and provide a perception to the non-thinking majority that some how crime and terrorism will be reduced or eradicated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the Police in general would welcome them, illegal immigrants and all of that.

I've not see anything to suggest that the Police would want them. Also bear in mind that their job is to enforce the law, not make it. While I can understand them wanting something (like tazers and CS gas or harsher sentences for attacking police) which affects performance of their duties I doesn't see what basis they've got for wanting ID cards.

The MO of illegal immigrants (or economic migrants) will not change with the introduction of ID cards. They still come into the country and keep a low profile and become part of the grey and/or black economy. They do that at the moment because they don't have legitimate documents such as a passport and NI number, so I don't see how adding ID cards will change anyhting greatly.

The whole thing seems to be me to be ill-conceived, populist bollocks which will do nothing more than run up taxes, infringe freedom and provide a perception to the non-thinking majority that some how crime and terrorism will be reduced or eradicated.

Although i won't mind them myself, youv'e put across a lot of good arguements against the card.

Thanks, was interesting to read.

It gets better. It really does. It NOW turns out that Irish people coming to the UK won’t need to have ID cards and the EU have no plans to have an EU wide biometric passport that will interface with what is being proposed for the UK.

Seems a right waste of time to me.

Sedonded! Very well put.

We just seem to be following the American way. The Homeland Security Act has been the single biggest erosion of civil liberties ever :(

Archived