the Campaign for Plain English battling Govspeak

hampsterkahn

By Govspeak I mean the sort of language used in almost any letter  headed with a Gov logo.

There must be thousands of examples.

Last week, for example  I saw one which included , “... have commenced planning and scoping of a new project to map and benchmark the provision of..”

Battling against the   tide of drivel is the Campaign for Plain English, founded in 1979.It  has an excellent website designed to help make  communication  clear  and more straighforward by  cutting out  meaningless, obscure, superfluous and confusing language.

It should be required reading for anyone in Gov.

If its use becomes more widespread  many officials will be  be unable to settle at night tormented by the dreaded  thought that  their letters may have to be  understandable.

On 10/5/2017 at 0:07 PM, hampsterkahn said:

By Govspeak I mean the sort of language used in almost any letter  headed with a Gov logo.

There must be thousands of examples.

Last week, for example  I saw one which included , “... have commenced planning and scoping of a new project to map and benchmark the provision of..”

Battling against the   tide of drivel is the Campaign for Plain English, founded in 1979.It  has an excellent website designed to help make  communication  clear  and more straighforward by  cutting out  meaningless, obscure, superfluous and confusing language.

It should be required reading for anyone in Gov.

If its use becomes more widespread  many officials will be  be unable to settle at night tormented by the dreaded  thought that  their letters may have to be  understandable.

aka legalise! good post thanks

Archived