What Is Druidry

TheDruid-3X3

Awens to All:

In 2008, I came upon this E-Book that was Linked to the High Arch Druid Emma (Bobcat) Restall-Orr personal Website and I got to read it through and it had some things that I incorporated into my Book Of The Law essay.

I decided to look it up recently in order to give it a Good Read over again and the Link to it on Bobcat's Personal Website did not work.  So I sent her an Email asking what had become of it.

She said she had given it to The Druid Network and to Inquire about it there and when I posted an Inquiry onto their Private Members Only Social Forum and the Arch Druid Bish posted a Link to it.

It is actually a Free Download for all whether You are a Member of not.

Here is the Link:
https://druidnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/What-is-Druidry.pdf

There is now a lot of Good Pictures in it now and Bobcat has added some extra comments and while reading it over, I found some things in it that I did not remember finding in it before.

For one thing, on Page #9, Bobcat points out that all the 3 Major Monotheistic Religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all were Originally Founded in the Middle East which is something that had never occurred to me before.

It is sort of Strange that the 3 Major Monotheistic Faiths, over which there have been so much Wars, Discord and Fighting, were Founded in One Particular Region of our Earth.

So Please Feel Free to Read Over and Download this E-Book "What Is Druidry" by Emma (Bobcat) Restall-Orr.

TheDruid-3X3

8 hours ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

For one thing, on Page #9, Bobcat points out that all the 3 Major Monotheistic Religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all were Originally Founded in the Middle East which is something that had never occurred to me before.

It is sort of Strange that the 3 Major Monotheistic Faiths, over which there have been so much Wars, Discord and Fighting, were Founded in One Particular Region of our Earth .......

It isn't that strange. They all come from the same "book" i.e. the Hebrew Bible.  The origins of this are several and various, and some parts date to oral and written tradition from as early as 1100 BC.

It isn't unique to the religions 'of the book'.  The Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, was a Hindu, and many elements of Buddhist belief, like rebirth and karma, come from older Vedic scriptures.  Jainism too is similarly related.

My assumption is that wherever there are human populations, there will be stories that deal with creation, life and death.  It doesn't surprise me at all that these stories evolve over time, being elaborated and added to.

I think it's unfair on early humans to explain that the formation of creation myths as because it was "too hard" to explain it otherwise. 

They came up with a story that fitted with the knowledge and what they could observe at the time. Storytelling to make sense of the world was probably the necessary first step to scientific understanding.  

The downside is the religious and state bureaucracy ended up having a vested interest in maintaining the myths that gave them authority. 

15 hours ago, Declan said:

They came up with a story that fitted with the knowledge and what they could observe at the time. Storytelling to make sense of the world was probably the necessary first step to scientific understanding.  

You Are Perfectly Correct!

Actually, Carl Sagan goes into that sort of issue in one of the episodes of his Cosmos Series when he talks about how the Natives of Africa tried to explain the Nature of the Milky Way of Stars by calling it "The Backbone of Night".

3X3

Archived