Marine Engine (outboard)

Neil Down

8 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

...and the electronics?.............

Not really (in my experience anyway) a problem. Evenrude/Johnson/OMC/Bombardier whatever the name these days was always quite reliable. Mercury-Mariner-Yamaha,  I've only ever had an electrical problem with one engine. That was a Red band 50Hp and it had a failed stator coil. Honda's, well its a Honda, don't go wrong.  Control switches however are a different story. Everything under the engine hood is generally very good. Everything on a console or hand control, poor. 

I put a hole in a blue band 50 merc cylinder once. Took the plug out and it still ran to get me home on the other 3. MJS still get my vote. Mike is a very helpful chap. Had a replacement head for that one off him, another boat and outboard since. The next boat will get his till ringing when it comes to winterising and servicing.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, x-in-man said:

I put a hole in a blue band 50 merc cylinder once. Took the plug out and it still ran to get me home on the other 3. MJS still get my vote. Mike is a very helpful chap. Had a replacement head for that one off him, another boat and outboard since. The next boat will get his till ringing when it comes to winterising and servicing.

Since my initial enquiry, quite a few other people seem to suggest not using him for a multitude of reasons. You must enjoy getting ripped off if even half the stories are true

9 hours ago, x-in-man said:

oh yawn .. Ripped off. Hardly. Boaters don't like spending money. Maybe you are the bloke who has taken over Yachthaven and are wondering where all the customers go when they don't go to you?

which is why I was looking for a boat engineer you clown.

I have spoken to quite a few boat owners down at the harbour and none of the local ones fare well. MJS seem to be the worst followed by Bottom Line. The only complaint I have heard about Bottom Line is that he prioritises commercial work over private boat owners. Fair enough if that's where the bulk of his work is. The guy from YH was actually working down at the boat park and I asked him some questions. He was pretty honest in his answers so will see what happens. One or two on here have supplied alternatives which I will follow up. Thanks to those people

Archived