Manx Music Chart

10 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

What exactly is the arts council for if not poncing?

Oh yeah, the money is there for grabbing for sure, it's just that I wonder if the emphasis on the Manx element of applications might have a dilutive effect on  local culture. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chart isn't exclusive to Celtic Folk or Traditional music. Manx Music to me has always been a broad church covering music made on the Island or by Manx born or raised musicians elsewhere irrespective of genre.  

So I'd include Jules Verne's electronica, Han-Fx's Hip-Hop, and Postcode's Indie as Manx Music. 

I'd also class products of the local scene such Penelope Isles or Davy Knowles as Manx Music, although whether they should eligible for a support from the  Art's Council is less certain. 

There's a tendency to puritanism in some sectors of Island when the issue of "What is Manx?" or "What is Manx Culture?" comes up. You know the thing "you're not Manx because your grandad came from Liverpool" or "acoustic music is authentic" even though the original Manx wouldn't have had cajons and guitars anymore than they would have had a 303 or wah-wah pedal. If you are quick to exclude those that don't meet an authenticity definition you end up with a moribund culture. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

The chart isn't exclusive to Celtic Folk or Traditional music. Manx Music to me has always been a broad church covering music made on the Island or by Manx born or raised musicians elsewhere irrespective of genre.  

So I'd include Jules Verne's electronica, Han-Fx's Hip-Hop, and Postcode's Indie as Manx Music. 

I'd also class products of the local scene such Penelope Isles or Davy Knowles as Manx Music

I wouldn't describe any of those acts as performers of Manx music. It would be like describing somebody speaking English as speaking Manx, because they happen to be speaking English on the island. 

That makes no sense. Because music genre or style is not bound by geography, like language, but draws from all music that it encounters. Manx  musicians in 1800 would have drawn on the musics of visiting sailors from the neighbouring islands and church music from across too.

In any case you could say someone speaking English was speaking it with a Manx accent. 

2 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

It would still be English. But with a Manx accent. 

You still make no sense - it's apples and oranges. Manx the language and Manx the cultural identity are not the same thing. Even linguistically "English" above quote is a noun and "Manx" an adjective, just as it is "Manx Music".

4 hours ago, Declan said:

What’s your definition then?

Well, I don't think I've really got one, which is why I was asking. If I was pressed I would probably have to go with there's no such thing. Or if there is, I've yet to experience it. There probably was one though. 

Hmm, this one seems to have dried up a bit, but it has had me pondering for a few days, and I dunno, I think I may be right! But not altogether with complete confidence! Nationalism innit. Or is it? Music does, as I think Declan suggests, seem to transcend geographical borders. Therefore, it must be above notions of nationalistic aspirations beyond, of course, the rantings of poorly armed nationalists? Isn't it? 

14 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Hmm, this one seems to have dried up a bit, but it has had me pondering for a few days, and I dunno, I think I may be right! But not altogether with complete confidence! Nationalism innit. Or is it? Music does, as I think Declan suggests, seem to transcend geographical borders. Therefore, it must be above notions of nationalistic aspirations beyond, of course, the rantings of poorly armed nationalists? Isn't it? 

Well I’d look at this as localism rather than nationalism. Having local football leagues isn’t nationalism is it?  

Everywhere has an X Music Scene. There hasn’t been much of a local scene really, but where it has and occasionally still does work well is through an amalgam of mutual cooperation and competition. 

Of course whilst I think musical styles transcend national and other boundaries, it is also true that localities sometimes do put their own accent on it. For example, most 60’s soul fans can easily tell Detroit soul from Memphis soul. 

Archived