Motorbike headlights

wrighty

2 questions for my learned motorcycling forum friends:

Do you routinely ride around with ‘full beam’ turned on so that car drivers are more likely to notice you, or is it just to be a nuisance? It seems to be quite a common practice.

Secondly, if a bike has two lights at the front, and one is not working - a not infrequent sighting over here - is this an offence as it is for car drivers, or is it OK because a bike generally only has a solitary central light?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, wrighty said:

(a) Do you routinely ride around with ‘full beam’ turned on so that car drivers are more likely to notice you, or is it just to be a nuisance? It seems to be quite a common practice.

(b) Secondly, if a bike has two lights at the front, and one is not working - a not infrequent sighting over here - is this an offence as it is for car drivers, or is it OK because a bike generally only has a solitary central light?

(a) could just be the bike bobbling

(b) separate projectors for main and dip on some models?

(A) Not a wind-up, it's for the benefit of those lazy and inattentive car drivers who don't, "think bike." On a bright sunny day you still need to be seen. 

(B) Some manufacturers use the side-by-side dip and full beam.

Surprised you hadn't worked it out for thyself Mr. Wright... 

Yes one is dipped and usually always on , the other is main beam that comes on in addition to the dipped one

unless yhkngd have changed

but you are right to point out the nuisance issue

I think it is a bigger danger to the biker if in trying to make himself seem, he dazzles the driver heading towards him

Also  just saw some stupid girl going from the grandstand to Shoprite Vic road without a helmet

the bike/ scooter was covered in Team Suzuki stickers

She would not have looked as nice if she had fallen off it 

25 minutes ago, quilp said:

(B) Some manufacturers use the side-by-side dip and full beam.

Surprised you hadn't worked it out for thyself Mr. Wright... 

I didn’t work it out because to me it looks wrong - offends my sense of symmetry. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

(A) Don’t think so

(B) Not when they’re side by side surely?

In these instances, Google is your friend.

(a) A moment's searching indicates that odd bikers do the high beam thing (r/motorcycles) but the vast majority correctly berate them for the (illegal) hazard to other road users.  I restate my bobbling thesis since as we all know everything is shit and the IoM roads are worse than the third world leading to HMBI.

(b) Did I mention the Google thing.

Apologies, I may be slightly tipsy due to a miscalculated spritzer with some left-over (?????) white wine so please don't take it personally.  If there's a round of the Sultana Drinking Game this evening I'm in trouble.  Although the bottle of Chartreuse VEP is chilling nicely in anticipation.

There is a related issues with newer cars which come fitted with blindingly overly intense LED headlights.

It's dangerous as well as very anti - social and until the govt actually does something about it motorists should get the bulbs changed and make a point of complaining to the dealers.

1 minute ago, pongo said:

There is a related issues with newer cars which come fitted with blindingly overly intense LED headlights.

It's dangerous as well as very anti - social and until the govt actually does something about it motorists should get the bulbs changed and make a point of complaining to the dealers.

I agree

I had a car with these stupidHIDs

and felt really guilty as I knew I was dazzling others

The beam height was determined by the suspension so could not be altered 

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I agree

I had a car with these stupidHIDs

and felt really guilty as I knew I was dazzling others

The beam height was determined by the suspension so could not be altered 

I don't understand why car owners don't just tell the dealerships to replace them. Or indeed why the dealerships even supply them. They must know how blinding they are.

ETA: It's a daily bother. Where as motorbikes on full beam is something I seldom see.

1 minute ago, pongo said:

I don't understand why car owners don't just tell the dealerships to replace them. Or indeed why the dealerships even supply them. They must know how blinding they are.

Correct.

a

All or most of my previous cars had an adjustment in the car for the driver to determine beam height

The Focus ST did not give the driver any control over beams

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

You can't just swap between halogen/hid/led at will.

You can. You may need an auto electrician to help but it's totally possible.

10 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

????

Changed to what?

Changed to bulbs which are not blindingly bright.

It's anti-social and dangerous driving around with lights which are too bright.

Archived