Damp proofing advice

gillf

Can anyone recommend someone to come and give us advice and/or a price to rectify a damp problem in a bedroom. We’ve replaced our roof and filled in all apparent cracks on the outside of the house, painted the house in water repellant paint, had the chimney stacked,  and it’s still coming in. 

Thanks 

3 hours ago, gillf said:

Can anyone recommend someone to come and give us advice and/or a price to rectify a damp problem in a bedroom. We’ve replaced our roof and filled in all apparent cracks on the outside of the house, painted the house in water repellant paint, had the chimney stacked,  and it’s still coming in. 

Thanks 

Is it still coming in or drying out? Sometimes removing the old plaster and leaving it open to the air is the solution. As you've a new roof and sealed everything the residual evaporation has nowhere else to go. What about your guttering and down pipes, are they clear?

Good luck with it...

3 hours ago, gillf said:

Thanks 

Have you tried using a de-humidifier?

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Is it still coming in or drying out? Sometimes removing the old plaster and leaving it open to the air is the solution. As you've a new roof and sealed everything the residual evaporation has nowhere else to go. What about your guttering and down pipes, are they clear?

Good luck with it...

I think it’s coming in still as it’s gradually getting worse. 

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Have you tried using a de-humidifier?

Yes we’ve tried a dehumidifier but we think it’s new damp as it’s got worse since the heavy rain.  We think answer is probably to get the side of the house re rendered but u would rather find an alternative solution as re rendering would cost a lot . 

I got called in to investigate an ongoing damp problem at a substantial modern home today. I have some observations. Whoever built it were crooks, whoever the building control officer was was either inept or on the take, and whoever the builder was that the client got in previously to 'fix' the problem simply guessed. I've no idea how people get away with it, or have the nerve to charge for stuff that they haven't done correctly.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:27 PM, TheTeapot said:

I got called in to investigate an ongoing damp problem at a substantial modern home today. I have some observations. Whoever built it were crooks, whoever the building control officer was was either inept or on the take, and whoever the builder was that the client got in previously to 'fix' the problem simply guessed. I've no idea how people get away with it, or have the nerve to charge for stuff that they haven't done correctly.

Nice story but how’s that helping the OP?

Archived