New name of a corner discovered.

Silja

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been  several car competitors on the Isle of Man with that surname.  This postcard picture shows Mr Selwyn Edge lined up ready for the Promenade Sprint in the 1904 Gordon Bennett Trials.  I think the car was a Napier, not quite sure.  Other elements of the Trials took cars around the island.

image.png.e8a5d9a0670d0a9259a3515977e9f05c.png

Thank you guys. I believe that the sidecar race 1959 was on Clypse Course and that will fit with your suggestions Edges Corner.  It's a probably a miss spelling or miss hearing. I don't know in what newspaper Edgar's Corner was mentioned but it seems that it wasn't a local one. If a reporter from England reported home by phone it's easy to hear the name in a wrong way.

There is a problem now and then with internet. As soon as you publish something new it's very often copied to other sites without checking if it's true. Good method to spread lies! Maybe I've found such a problem now. It's about Edges Corner. In many places you can find something like " Of those 200 corners, around 60 have been named after some true legends of the TT event. Many of these corners have been named in tribute to fallen riders, whilst others are named to honour some of the names that have really lit up this tiny island. Once such corner is Edges Corner, between Cronk-ny-Mona and Ballanard Road, which was the first corner to be named after a competitor in 1920."

First of all, Edges Corner is not on the TT-course. It's at the older Clypse Course that was used latest 1959. I've checked some of the databases for the TT carefully and the occation that named Edges Corner must have happened latest 1920 when it got its name. From the start of The TT 1907 and up to 1925 there is no one who competed with the surname Edge or Edges. So now I wonder, does somebody know who this Edge or Edges was and what happened to him at that spot that still is called Edges Corner?

Yes Manxberry. If I write like this. Edges Corner is on the TT Course but not the Mountain Course. It's on the Clypse Course. Satisfied? :-)

Edit: From 1911, after St John's Corse, the Mountain Course was used. For some years in the beginning the bikes turned right after Hillberry on to Johnny Watterson's Lane passing Edges Corner. Please note in the opposite direction compared to the Clypse Course. Later on from 1920 the competitors turned left at Cronk-Ny-Mona and followed Mountain Road to Governor's Bridge with a new start/finish line on Glencrutchery Road. So it is correct to say that Edges Corner for some years was a part of the Mountain Course or as I always call it, The TT Course.

There is evidence of two Edges, brothers, Selwyn and Cecil, competing in the Gordon Bennett Trials, driving Napier’s ( Selwyn was a director ). 

Of course the course didn’t go past Edge’s corner.

Selwyn was also an accomplished cyclist, winning many events, including long distance ones.

Could be named after them. Or Edge is a locally occurring  name.

Archived