Manx mobile providers have a contender

Chie

Before I start...no I do not work for them :D...with that out of the way...

Has anyone else tried Voxi by Vodafone?. I was told about them a year ago and have sent a long time debating whether to switch or not and a month ago decided to take the plunge. Figured I would give it a months trial and see if Voxi live up to their claims. They class the IOM as part of their eurozone so all minutes, texts,  data etc work here aka no roaming. I took out their £30 a month unlimited everything package and il be honest...I will never go near Manx Telecom or Sure ever again.

Before switching I went into MT and asked them if they did an unlimited 4G sim only deal and they did at a staggering £60 a month and also asked if that included tethering as I use my data to browse the net / game / movies on my laptop at work, it wasn't included. Apparently they don't offer tethering on the unlimited deal as, and I quote the shop assistants exact words, "We don't offer tethering on the unlimited plan as on other plans you would have to purchase more data when you run out". So I contacted Voxi, asked them and they assured me that on the plan I was looking at all texts, calls, data, tethering is truly unlimited. £30 with truly unlimited with unlimited mobile, landline, texts, data etc vs £60 with unlimited*(except....what we don't want you to have as unlimited because you still need to spend more money with us).....bye bye MT...

So here we are, a month of testing later, lots of downloading, lots of browsing, hours of tethering and I can happily report that there are no slowing of connections, no caps, no limits, lots of tethering....gigs of data....and one super happy me. I am moving into my own apartment in the next few months and I honestly think I am going to just use my phone as my main source of internet. I was debating a 4G connection with Sure or Blue Wave but......I don't see the need now.

I know this sounds like I'm a sales rep or something, I am not. There is no way I could have written this without sounding like one. I am just very very happy with the network and the fact it offers true unlimited with no conditions. I am sick of dealing with "shop local" companies that just seem to want to rip you off or offer you a "too good to be completely true" deal at a ridiculous cost. We have needed access to something better for a long time on this island and maybe with companies like Vodafone offering inclusive plans like this, especially as you can transfer your number also, it might actually give the local companies a kick up the backside and some much needed competition.

The only downside is that it will cost MT and Sure users money to actually phone you but let's be honest. In the modern age, we mostly contact each other via data anyway.

Okay....review over..

28 minutes ago, buzz said:

Whereabouts are you? I checked the coverage map and the iom has no 4g or 3g coverage.

Of course the IoM has 3G and 4G.   It won’t show up on UK mobile providers maps. They don’t have masts here.

@Chie I bet your contract has a fair use policy, hammering your data on roaming, month after month, will cause it to be used against you, eventually.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

@Chie I bet your contract has a fair use policy, hammering your data on roaming, month after month, will cause it to be used against you, eventually.

From their T&Cs:

Use of our services whilst in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) roaming destinations is intended for temporary, periodic travel such as holidays and short breaks and should not be used for extended periods of travel or if you are permanently resident in these destinations.
Avoid: Using your SIM outside of the UK for prolonged periods of time which don’t resemble reasonably usual consumer holiday patterns or travel behaviour.

If you use our services outside of the UK for more than 50% of a rolling 4 month period we will send you a text requesting that you moderate your use of our services. If your use of our services outside the UK continues to exceed 50% of your total usage in the two weeks following such a request this usage will fall outside our Acceptable Use Policy and we will impose further charges on your account or reserve the right to disconnect or restrict your service. Further information on roaming charges outside the UK can be found at voxi.co.uk/pricing-guide.

12 minutes ago, kevster said:

From their T&Cs:

Use of our services whilst in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) roaming destinations is intended for temporary, periodic travel such as holidays and short breaks and should not be used for extended periods of travel or if you are permanently resident in these destinations.
Avoid: Using your SIM outside of the UK for prolonged periods of time which don’t resemble reasonably usual consumer holiday patterns or travel behaviour.

If you use our services outside of the UK for more than 50% of a rolling 4 month period we will send you a text requesting that you moderate your use of our services. If your use of our services outside the UK continues to exceed 50% of your total usage in the two weeks following such a request this usage will fall outside our Acceptable Use Policy and we will impose further charges on your account or reserve the right to disconnect or restrict your service. Further information on roaming charges outside the UK can be found at voxi.co.uk/pricing-guide.

Quite. I have a Vodafone phone SIM and Data Sim to use in U.K. and whilst in Europe. 

I have MT ones also.

I knew there was a clause, just couldn’t be bothered looking it up.

This has been around for a few years, plenty of people “Roaming” on UK sims. 

Tethering is out of the service providers control as it’s down to the APN on the SIM card rather than how the SIM card provides the data (the sim doesn’t care). As there is usually only 1 APN used for both data and tethering, it’s just classed as data usage.

I don’t know how performance is on a crowded cell as the incumbent provider would usually prioritise their own traffic over roaming.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Quite. I have a Vodafone phone SIM and Data Sim to use in U.K. and whilst in Europe. 

I have MT ones also.

I knew there was a clause, just couldn’t be bothered looking it up.

often the phone has to be detected by a cell tower in its zone on a regular basis  monthly, bi-monhtly or whatever so it doesn't think it has moved zones permanently .

1 minute ago, WTF said:

often the phone has to be detected by a cell tower in its zone on a regular basis  monthly, bi-monhtly or whatever so it doesn't think it has moved zones permanently .

Yes. I get over to UK at least once a month, always use my Vodafone SIM whilst there, or even if just transiting. Doesn’t get used here. 

But it’s invaluable when travelling in Europe.

I have been using a 3 sim on the island for well over 2 years and changed my Sure number into a pay as you go.

I use a dual sim phone and so I can use my phone without any issues both in the Isle of man and the UK and at the 3 roaming destinations..

My old isle of man number is still working for any of my contacts to call me if needed.

I do travel a fair bit but I am in the UK for maybe a day or so every month ( haven't been at all since December)

I have not had any issues from 3 and nor does any of my business partners who have all moved on to 3 .( pay monthly)

I get 12GB data with unlimited minutes and texts for £12 a month.

PS: the only time you can potentially get ripped off is if you call a isle of man mobile number while roaming in the UK .(or to be precise when you are in 3's home territory across ) 

When I am on the IOM with the 3 mobile I can call local mobiles as part of my unlimited minutes..

6 minutes ago, display name said:

You should get a new servant,that current one couldn't remember his own name after I wished him a happy 80th

Yes, Jollocks said he visited the asylum for some light relief on his way home.

I had a long and lengthy discussion with the customer service team before I started paying and they assured me that their fair use policies only apply to the data capped deals and that I am free to be a members of Voxi and use their services whilst living in the IOM. I have been with them a little over a month now and I have hammered some serious data in these tests and so far no issue. I have been using my phone as my sole point of internet access for everything from streaming to gaming to Downloading.

What would you honestly pick.

£60 with MT that denies you tethering, and if you read the T&C slows down your connection if you use over 1GB in a day.

or

£30 a month for unlimited that so far has no restrictions, no slow downs and no issues.

I still have my MT sim should this ever come to an end but...so far...this is the best priced service I have been on to date

Archived