Manx Telecom Fibre Speeds?

I noticed that up until recently they were offering the services based on speed

100,200,500 etc

However, there is now no mention of speed, and merely essential, fast, ultrafast, superfast, megafast and lightning fast

What has changed, and why is this now no longer mentioned?  Are they struggling to guarantee the speeds?

How are you supposed to know what speed you will get?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens if we all have to start working from home in a few weeks - whether there is sufficient capacity for the increased traffic. Quite a lot of business continuity plans seem to rely on remote desktop over VPNs - which works fine for the 'annual DR test' but may not work so well when everyone tries it at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 9:57 AM, somewhatdamaged said:

I noticed that up until recently they were offering the services based on speed

100,200,500 etc

However, there is now no mention of speed, and merely essential, fast, ultrafast, superfast, megafast and lightning fast

What has changed, and why is this now no longer mentioned?  Are they struggling to guarantee the speeds?

How are you supposed to know what speed you will get?

If you ask them they'll tell you.

Recently had the 'super fast' fibre installed and was advised that the speed should be 200mbs. It provides this speed up until about 9 pm when it drops to 45mbs before returning to 200mbs at about 11pm. Its been like this for the last week that we've had it. The copper service never used to have this drop off in speed and was a pretty standard 40 mbs all of the time.

I know there is a lot more bandwidth being used at the moment, but would expect 6pm to be the worst time. I was wondering if anybody else has the same issue at these times?

Contention like issues it would seem, interference, line length etc can't be blamed now if you have fibre to home unless you are testing over wifi or everyone else in your house is using internet at the same time you test. There's a bottle neck somewhere it would seem, 9 - 11 would probably be when most people are streaming netflix etc. I am also interested to know if anyone else has this issue.

I think that the UKs telecoms under regulations, are not allowed to advertise a speed, even if they say 'upto'..

All can test your address for an estimate. Perhaps, while not regulated the same, Manx are complying?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived