Hip replacement abroad

cheesypeas

Bit random, but has anyone been (or know anyone who has been) to Lithuania for orthopedic surgery? Waiting list here is going to mean loads of debilitating pain, so seriously considering flying to Vilnius. Waiting time is less than a month !

Cheers

Just now, cheesypeas said:

Bit random, but has anyone been (or know anyone who has been) to Lithuania for orthopedic surgery? Waiting list here is going to mean loads of debilitating pain, so seriously considering flying to Vilnius. Waiting time is less than a month !

Cheers

Price?

Just FWIW my neighbour went private at the Duchy hospital, Truro. Price for 'a Full Monty' was cica £12k, she then spent two weeks in a good convalescent home at ~£1,200 / week.

Just now, GD4ELI said:

Price?

Just FWIW my neighbour went private at the Duchy hospital, Truro. Price for 'a Full Monty' was cica £12k, she then spent two weeks in a good convalescent home at ~£1,200 / week.

£7k -  including seven days rehabilitation treatment.

21 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

£7k -  including seven days rehabilitation treatment.

£7k is a good price, I would take two weeks.

My neighbour looked better than she had after a couple of weeks rehab.

Do you have connections there or is this just the cheapest?

I have no experience of Lithuanian surgical standards but I’d be very wary about your plan. Find out what prosthesis you’ll get, how it’ll be fixed, how many your surgeon does etc. Is there a national joint registry in Lithuania? What’s the plan for follow up, and how do you propose complications are dealt with, if they occur?

For not much more than 7k you could get one done in the uk.  I’d be happy to recommend a surgeon in the North-West for you. 

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

Do you have connections there or is this just the cheapest?

I have no experience of Lithuanian surgical standards but I’d be very wary about your plan. Find out what prosthesis you’ll get, how it’ll be fixed, how many your surgeon does etc. Is there a national joint registry in Lithuania? What’s the plan for follow up, and how do you propose complications are dealt with, if they occur?

For not much more than 7k you could get one done in the uk.  I’d be happy to recommend a surgeon in the North-West for you. 

Morning Mr Wright. Appreciate your input. We already have a raft of questions for them, so will add content from your response !

This is the surgeon. They have very encouraging feedback. I have corresponded with a few 'customers' just to clarify the place actually exist (yes, bit cynical I know). Everyone seems more than pleased. 

https://www.nordorthopaedics.com/en/hip-knee-surgeon-abroad-lithuania

Would be more than happy to call any recommended contact you may have, thank you for that !

Cheers.

16 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Morning Mr Wright. Appreciate your input. We already have a raft of questions for them, so will add content from your response !

This is the surgeon. They have very encouraging feedback. I have corresponded with a few 'customers' just to clarify the place actually exist (yes, bit cynical I know). Everyone seems more than pleased. 

https://www.nordorthopaedics.com/en/hip-knee-surgeon-abroad-lithuania

Would be more than happy to call any recommended contact you may have, thank you for that !

Cheers.

Looks very good. The key to being a good operator is repetition, so if he’s done 3000 joints he should be good. A hip replacement is the best operation there is, and if done for the right reasons in the right patient is transformative. 

My caution is because we’ve seen some dodgy stuff done over the years, often in France, with unhappy patients who end up in our clinics expecting to be sorted out. This is difficult when we don’t recognise the prosthesis, or they’ve made literally stupid choices of implant, probably for financial rather than clinical reasons. 

If you want safe UK recommendations I’ll pm you. 

Occasionally I see patients who have had things done to or for them abroad, and I think I'll start keeping an informal record of which ones went well and which ones went poorly.  The only country I can specifically recall at the moment is Poland, and I was not particularly impressed with the outcome of treatment there, but I expect that as in the UK, there are good and bad doctors within the same country and it probably wouldn't be fair to tar them all with the same brush.  I've no experience with Lithuania.

4 hours ago, BallaDoc said:

Occasionally I see patients who have had things done to or for them abroad, and I think I'll start keeping an informal record of which ones went well and which ones went poorly.  The only country I can specifically recall at the moment is Poland, and I was not particularly impressed with the outcome of treatment there, but I expect that as in the UK, there are good and bad doctors within the same country and it probably wouldn't be fair to tar them all with the same brush.  I've no experience with Lithuania.

Thank you for the input. If we do end up getting there, will let you know, so you can add it to your record. :)

Everyone’s favourite ex MHK Quirkie, was on the Mannin Line today and informs us that his son in law has been waiting three and a half years for a hip op. He got a letter this week to say he was now on Mr B’s list and will have to wait another two years for the op. Never heard anything after he said that as I had to go to a funeral, but sounded a bit extreme . 
pretty sure that can’t be correct. Can’t get a podcast of the prog. But it takes some believing.

I am guessing he waited those three and a half years before getting referred .

52 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Everyone’s favourite ex MHK Quirkie, was on the Mannin Line today and informs us that his son in law has been waiting three and a half years for a hip op. He got a letter this week to say he was now on Mr B’s list and will have to wait another two years for the op. Never heard anything after he said that as I had to go to a funeral, but sounded a bit extreme . 
pretty sure that can’t be correct. Can’t get a podcast of the prog. But it takes some believing.

I am guessing he waited those three and a half years before getting referred .

Obviously not been waving his cheque book around!

On 9/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, BallaDoc said:

Occasionally I see patients who have had things done to or for them abroad, and I think I'll start keeping an informal record of which ones went well and which ones went poorly.

I presume you are including post op infections, corrective surgery, follow up delays / problems etc. Would it be a good idea to keep similar records for isle of Man procedures per Consultant? Would they allow that here? 

6 minutes ago, Apple said:

I presume you are including post op infections, corrective surgery, follow up delays / problems etc. Would it be a good idea to keep similar records for isle of Man procedures per Consultant? Would they allow that here? 

Don’t need that here. Word of mouth is king

Just like driving instructor, garages and GPS.

Everyone knows the good ones and the bad ones.

Archived