Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Though you are right, MHKs don't just debate potholes, they consider teachers wages, decide border policy on a whim, shake some hands and shred letters too.

....and then do exactly as our English masters tell them to do, or we won't get bailed out.

Dr G - please carry on doing what you do as that is much more important.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Surely, science, as by very definition being "a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject." is fundamentally important to the decision making of politicians. Of course, look at a high profile politician like Trump, and you see what you end up with when you have a politician who sees science as optional.

It sounds to me like you have a bee in your bonnet and are trying to belittle Dr Glover as you disagree with her. Though you are right, MHKs don't just debate potholes, they consider teachers wages, decide border policy on a whim, shake some hands and shred letters too.

They also manage the economy, decide social policy, keep the Island (largely) COVID free and other important stuff

Re Dr Glover, no bee, no bonnet, although I must confess as a previous contributor has said her sense of self importance does irritate.

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They also manage the economy, decide social policy, keep the Island (largely) COVID free and other important stuff

No they don't I'm afraid. Most of those issues are determined off island and only enacted here when told to do so. Thats why we have to have Royal Assent.

I think most people know it but find it hard to accept. We are fast becoming , or have become, little England. 

Just now, Apple said:

No they don't I'm afraid. Most of those issues are determined off island and only enacted here when told to do so. Thats why we have to have Royal Assent.

I think most people know it but find it hard to accept. We are fast becoming , or have become, little England. 

Who determines the rate of income tax you pay? I think that is an important element of self determination.

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

And why have we been able to go to pubs and restaurants these last few weeks when those in England haven’t ?

Edited by The Voice of Reason

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Who determines the rate of income tax you pay? I think that is an important element of self determination.

We can set it with certain parameters so as to tie in with the UK. Who determines those parameters ? 

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And why have we been able to go to pubs and restaurants these last few weeks when those in England haven’t ?

Our geography allows different approaches. It's not rocket science. But, have it your way, we are a self determining nation then. That should make our choices much easier when Brexit happens then. We shall see. That is all.

19 minutes ago, Apple said:

Our geography allows different approaches. It's not rocket science. But, have it your way, we are a self determining nation then. That should make our choices much easier when Brexit happens then. We shall see. That is all.

Brexit has happened. Not sure what you are saying. Please explain

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

We are heavily restricted whichever way you look at it. Yes we can go to pubs (you can also go to the pub in the UK too provided you also eat) but if your have off island family you’re actually more segregated here than you would be if you all lived in the UK. It’s even difficult for people to come over here for funerals and to see sick relatives. Off Island family can’t visit. Friends from across can’t visit. Students are basically treated like pariahs and many have even been forced out of their homes for two weeks on return now. It always amazes me that people say it’s so free over here when the reality is that it isn’t. If your life revolves around the pub and going for coffees rather than wanting your family and friends to be close to you you’re probably a very shallow person. 

• Like 1