Robin Cook

marcus

How unlucky is that eh? Having a heart attack and THEN falling down a mountain (added to which, being ages away from suitable treatment)

Hell! I haven't heard of such bad luck since poor Barry copped for it in Eastenders.

I must confess that in his years before Labour came to power I did not particularly like him but once give a position of authority my opinions changed. Robin Cook was different from most. He was never afraid of what other people thought of him or the consequence of telling people what they might not want to hear.

I was shocked to hear of his premature death and feel that British politics has suffered a loss equal to that of his devoted family; I offer my deepest sympathy to both.

His utterly inappropriate actions as Foreign Secretary reached an all time low for a British Cabinet minister during his visit to Israel in 1998.

His conduct during and immediately after his visit to Israel took a lot of people by surprise and it is difficult to disagree with Rog's analysis.

On the plus side, he was an outstanding politician in opposition although I never thought his views sat well with New Labour's mix of "New Times" (as formulated by Charlie Leadbetter & Co) and idealism.

What difference does him being dead make? 

He was a self important self serving arrogant little creep in life, him having died dosen't change that one iota.

Viewed from the outside.

From someone who knew him better than most - and had no reason to sing his praises - an inside view:

Robin Cook's former wife, Margaret, was among the first to pay tribute after his death, describing him as an intellectual heavyweight and a man of political integrity who still had "so much to offer".

Describing the impact his decision to resign from government had, she continued: "His whole life had been geared to getting into government and he was giving it up in a truly moral stand which was typical of him." (Source - Independent)

A supporter of the evil Thatcher creature probably wouldn't understand what a 'moral stand' is, however.

I liked Robin Cook as he was the orator and debator that the Opposition probably feared the most. Like many I also thought he was a man of principal and integrity. That was up until a couple of weeks ago.....

Unfortunately someone in my local had the temerity to be reading The Daily Mail thus showing they must be unfit to drink due to diminished responsibility - but no matter.... I couldn't help but notice that in that dreadful rag was an article by one Robin Cook! Once I had booked a counselling session I read the piece and was frankly appalled. I don't vote in the UK elections but for the first time I felt like writing to an MP. Before I got bladdered I resolved to let Mr Cook know that not only had he blatantly betrayed all his previous convictions for which he was greatly admired, not only had he bitterly disappointed those like myself who thought that at least some politicians had some moral fibre and he was one of them, but most importantly he had betrayed his own considerable intellect by shamelessly towing The Rails line. Frankly what he was saying was just awful.

Needless to say once I got properly bladdered all of that steely resolve to put him right went straight out of the window. I have since tried to find the piece electronically but failed. If you are a Robin Cook admirer you should try and find it. It really opened my eyes believe me.

Very sad and shocking news.

Rest in peace.

I agree. He was an amazing individual. Unlike most modern politicians he was opinionated, not afraid to disagree and a great public speaker/debater. He did well concerning the Iraq War (he voted against it), gay rights (he brought forward legalisation in Scotland), Kosovo (he encouraged western action against Serbia) and many other things. Now he has gone and Mo Mowlam is in ill health the UK has lost two of the finest left wing politicians.

Archived