Mec Vannin

ButterflyMaiden

Well I would agree with that Butterfly Maiden.  I certainly think that whether I speak Manx or not it doesn't make a difference whether I speak Manx or not.

What I mean by thinking it curious is that the language has died out.  Nobody speaks ONLY Manx and very few are fluent and it is only quite recently that there is such a drive behind teaching it in schools.  It is my curiosity of why now there is such much enthusiasm behind it.  I don't think it is necessarily preservation of the language but the language has stopped being used in anything but street names and tynwald.  I don't think there is anything reason why not be taught it.

Manx identity means something different to everyone.  We certainly can't turn back the clock and bring the Manxness of the past; the way in which people used the language and the idiosyncrasies of old.  A lot has been lost over time though luckily preserved in books but it just feels to me a 'hollow' to people speak a smattering of language when the context in which it was taught is not known i.e. the history of the island.

Very well put. Perhaps it would be better if the Manx Culturalists spent more time in the modern High tech world and campaigned for all that live on this Island to have the proper wealth sharing from an economic boom that is at present not shared equally.

Many do both - they're not mutually exclusive you know!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From  http://br.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mec_Vannin

“In the 1976 election they put up ten candidates. Only one was successful though, Peter Craine. He remains to this day the only Mec Vannin MHK there has ever been, although several ex-members have gone on to become MHKs, such as Phil Gawne and Hazel Hannan.

Peter Craine subsequently left the party, joining the shortlived breakaway Manx National Party which was formed in 1977 and disbanded in 1981.”

Not relevent I suppose but www.br.wikipedia.org is fantastic. It's got a lot of Manx related material and anything can be added or edited. Best encyclopedia on the net.

Archived