Druggy dealers' dilemma

Barlow

Manx Radio: 'Grave concern' for drug debt residents when borders re-open

I always thought that people took drugs to be happy and fuzzy and all that, but it appears there is a rather seedier and violent side to it all.

Edited by Barlow

9 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I always thought that people took drugs to be happy and fuzzy and all that, but it appears there is a rather seedier and violent side to it all.

Maybe that's why some people want to legalise it....coverd in another thread.

11 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Regulating or legalising it wouldn't stop drug gangs and drug crime.

Erm, you only need to look at Prohibition in the States to realise this is bollocks!  

It's possible there would be a few comparatives to 'moonshiners' but realistically only if the price of 'legal' drugs was significantly higher than the black market.  

• Like 1

Just now, The Phantom said:

Erm, you only need to look at Prohibition in the States to realise this is bollocks!  

It's possible there would be a few comparatives to 'moonshiners' but realistically only if the price of 'legal' drugs was significantly higher than the black market.  

Which they will be.  That's my point.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Would it really though?

Are you suddenly going to pay twice or three times the price to walk into Boots or wherever to buy it when you can buy it illegally for substantially less?

Why would the illegal price be less? It's so high here because it has an extra layer of security to get through, no other reason. Get off the boat in Liverpool and within 20 minutes you can buy twice as much for the same price (weed). And they'll still be making a profit. 

This is why the way to legalisation is to make it an entirely on island cottage industry. Importation (or 'producing' as its weirdly called) would remain illegal. You break out of supply chains that way. Take away the main drug market (pot) and OC will think twice about shipping other things too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Why would the illegal price be less? It's so high here because it has an extra layer of security to get through, no other reason. Get off the boat in Liverpool and within 20 minutes you can buy twice as much for the same price (weed). And they'll still be making a profit. 

This is why the way to legalisation is to make it an entirely on island cottage industry. Importation (or 'producing' as its weirdly called) would remain illegal. You break out of supply chains that way. Take away the main drug market (pot) and OC will think twice about shipping other things too. 

I understand your concept but in practice that isn't likely to be how it will play out.  It'll be regulated and expensive with limited sellers.  It'll immediately facilitate the continuation of the black market.  The majority of you potheads are not paying double or more.

• Haha 1

Best not try to do anything about it then, continue to allow huge amounts of money to leave the island straight into the hands of criminals while wrecking peoples lives through criminal records, fines and imprisonment for the awful awful crime of enhancing Hendrix.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Best not try to do anything about it then, continue to allow huge amounts of money to leave the island straight into the hands of criminals while wrecking peoples lives through criminal records, fines and imprisonment for the awful awful crime of enhancing Hendrix.

Should we legalise coke and heroin too?

Coke no. There is only a very tiny legal market for it anywhere (as a medical anesthetic)  and the coca plant doesn't grow here. You wouldn't be able to break the chain to OC.

Heroin is different. The most important bit is to treat heroin use as a medical problem. There is a strong argument that giving addicts actual heroin is a better thing to do than it's various substitutes. Personally I think that a legal weed market combined with a better treatment plan would eventually reduce heroin use on the island to virtually nil. Heroin (diamorphine) is produced by the pharmaceutical industry, so that can easily remove the OC bit. So while I don't think it should be legal to the point you can go into a shop and buy it, I do think the laws around it should be altered, and that for some people for a certain amount of time as part of a dedicated treatment plan heroin should be available. as opposed to throwing them in jail and giving them methadone.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

realistically only if the price of 'legal' drugs was significantly higher than the black market.  

It's about supply and demand, costs and prices (like any business) and the quality of what can be supplied and in what quantity. @TheTeapot is right - distortion is the way to break up the supply chains.

The regulationof what constitutes a 'legal' amount of TCH is a sticking point in my view. I still see it as the gateway drug to other harder drugs but globally that argument seems to have been lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I'll tell you what's the gateway to any drug. Trauma. 

I'll tell you what is the gateway to trauma. Drugs. That's my opinion etc

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

... the awful awful crime of enhancing Hendrix.

Many of the druggies I know want to be like their heroes ie. rock stars with talent and fame and go to parties and take drugs. It's enticing.

The problem is, the people aren't particularly talented and so not fameworthy. But they can do the partying bit, and they can definitely do the taking of the drugs - that's relatively easy. So - how to become a rock star. Well nearly.

Whatever happened to the slogan "just say no". I suppose as the druggy scene expanded into traditional ways of life, it got laughed off the scene.

Anyway, back on topic. Them drugs aren't legal and nasty people control it and will do nasty things if you don't pay them their money.

Maybe it's back to "Just say no kids . . . just say no".

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Untreated and unreleased trauma is the gateway to alcohol and drugs. That's my opinion - and I'm sticing to it.

Tend to agree as a universal perspective and other avenues can lead to similar problems. 

(sticing - can't just make words up to suit you know😀)