Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

1 hour ago, display name said:

Yet only 10% increases, quoth the DOI previously. Still lying through their teeth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it was Baker who previously brought proposals for these sort of huge rises before Tynwald a couple or so years back. There was outcry and they were withdrawn before they were voted on.

Obviously the DOI back-burner is in good working order and it was only a matter of time before there was a new House of gullible idiots who could be convinced that these sort of rises are required, particularly considering that such a small percentage of the VED take is actually spent on road infrastructure.

Clearly the Island's motorists have been targeted to virtually "single-handedly" financially support all sorts of Government fiscal misadventure, excess and largesse.

• Like 4

On 2/23/2023 at 8:20 AM, Happier diner said:

I think your points do not really make sense. But I do agree, why charge the £6? It's just petty and is going to be outrageously unpopular. Most people will tax for 6 months because they dont have the cash. The stuff about classic cars/motorhomes is trivial and not worth arguing about.

@Chris Thomas you need to ditch the £6

The cost of administering 6 month vehicle duty is more than £6. Government reduced the premium to this figure from what DoI requested for providing 6 month payment option.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think it was Baker who previously brought proposals for these sort of huge rises before Tynwald a couple or so years back. There was outcry and they were withdrawn before they were voted on.

Obviously the DOI back-burner is in good working order and it was only a matter of time before there was a new House of gullible idiots who could be convinced that these sort of rises are required, particularly considering that such a small percentage of the VED take is actually spent on road infrastructure.

Clearly the Island's motorists have been targeted to virtually "single-handedly" financially support all sorts of Government fiscal misadventure, excess and largesse.

You are right that the 2021 vehicle duty order was withdrawn so vehicle duty has not increased since 2020.

Differently from across, more is spent on highways each year than is raised with vehicle duty when revenue and capital schemes are combined.

Tynwald is being asked to approve increases in vehicle duty in March Tynwald. The order will have been registered in public for six weeks before that debate and vote.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Yet only 10% increases, quoth the DOI previously. Still lying through their teeth.

Government press release did not lie. It was clear and correct. By far the majority of vehicle licences have risen by 10%; but some have risen by less (for instance DLA licences remain free), and around 10,000 people who licenced vehicles last year will pay more than 10% more than last year if they re-register for 12 months this year (with the highest being electric vehicle owners who have an infinite increase from £0). 

2 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

As this applies to bikes, vans, cars and trucks this will fuel inflation. Cost of fuel is going up, vehicle insurance is going up. This should be binned and any future increase be included in the budget.

You are right - higher costs increase inflation. The vehicle duty increases were included in DoI budgetary estimates from 1/4/2023 as all other budget items, although they are subject to separate vote in Tynwald in March as required by law.

5 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Differently from across, more is spent on highways each year than is raised with vehicle duty when revenue and capital schemes are combined.

Screenshot_20211121-163915_Chrome.jpg

7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I think the whole point of the six month proposal was to help people pay for the licence the thought being that it would not be such a large amount to find in one bang if Chris Thomas had thought it through and introduced payment by Direct Debit monthly as the Government Department who collects the rates do and all the Commissioners do without too much trouble this whole scenario of people just licensing their vehicles for a six month period thus depleting income from Road Tax would not have arisen.   I hope this silly proposal gets kicked into touch.   

Government Technology Services has been working on introducing direct debits for vehicle duty since November 2022. There are other issues that need to be addressed alongside system development. Rates and tax direct debits are quite expensive to administer, and are not really up to date. Doesn't Treasury collect rates for commissioners (except Onchan and Braddan) and that system is manual and uses three dedicated officers?

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20211121-163915_Chrome.jpg

You did not ask about fuel duty. Both it and vehicle duty are actually general revenue items for Treasury.

Two things not quite right with Mr Peters' figures are that capital road schemes wil be larger than the figure cited here and roads maintenance is only part of what is spent on highways division as there is much more to highways expenditure than just the item spent on contractors for highways maintenance.

I will discuss further with DoI motorist champion.

4 hours ago, x-in-man said:

If they are worried about it then they can employ me for a few hours every week and I will check up on taxed/untaxed 6/12 month vehicles on commission - and I wont even want a government pension at the end.

But I suppose that would be too radical an idea and they would rather rely on Joe and Karen Public to report them.

AFAIK there is currently no mechanism for a member of public to report an untaxed vehicle, apart from advising the Police, who won't be interested, unless it's Martin Moore, again. The DoI 'Report-a-Problem' app allows you to report an abandoned vehicle, although doesn't define what constitutes abandoned.

Enforcement seems very patchy. A couple of years ago, the DoI and Police set up a sting with the ANPR camera, on a Saturday night, outside the Hawthorn. They pulled a guy in a Fiesta who had tax expired a month before. They had the car towed away by Hadyn Minay and the driver and passengers had to continue their journey on the bus! He must have felt pretty unlucky. I've no problem with that as a process, as long as it is consistent, but you can walk along Douglas Prom every day and see untaxed vehicles that are there, day in, day out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, x-in-man said:

You don't get a new insurance certificate every month when you pay monthly by direct debit ..

nor a TV Licence.

It's just a circle of paper that is now pointless with today's technology and systems

If they are worried about it then they can employ me for a few hours every week and I will check up on taxed/untaxed 6/12 month vehicles on commission - and I wont even want a government pension at the end.

But I suppose that would be too radical an idea and they would rather rely on Joe and Karen Public to report them.

There are legal complications with direct debit. For instance no SORN here and interaction with insurers is slightly different I think. Work in progress alongisde system development.

1 minute ago, Nellie said:

The DoI 'Report-a-Problem' app allows you to report an abandoned vehicle, although doesn't define what constitutes abandoned.

Enforcement seems very patchy. A couple of years ago, the DoI and Police set up a sting with the ANPR camera, on a Saturday night, outside the Hawthorn. They pulled a guy in a Fiesta who had tax expired a month before. They had the car towed away by Hadyn Minay and the driver and passengers had to continue their journey on the bus! He must have felt pretty unlucky. I've no problem with that as a process, as long as it is consistent, but you can walk along Douglas Prom every day and see untaxed vehicles that are there, day in, day out.

Please report untaxed vehicles on the app. Not being taxed is one factor in determining the abandonment of a vehicle since law changes introduced relatively recently. 

• Like 1