Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

Cash cow for a Govt mired in debt brought about by vanity and a lack of competent control in expenditure and governance itself.

As simple as that.

We got through the "tough twelve months". Now DOI and Treasury have decided that it obviously wasn't tough enough and have decided to make amends - in their own interests, naturally.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

covered in the tough 12 months thread.

Electric vehicles £65.

EVs tend to be a lot heavier due to the battery packs. They should be more than £65. If you can afford to spend £100K on a Taycan or £60K on a Tesla then £65 for the SUV style wear and tear on the tarmac is nothing. 

• Like 6

So rates up, road tax up…….what next ?    Perhaps a tax on fresh air.   In the day there used to be a tax on luxury goods and people who could afford them paid this tax which was fair,  now the most basic commodities are getting hit I hope Tynwald tells Chris Thomas what to do with this proposal, trying to sugar coat it with optional six monthly payments , with an added £6 on each payment, is not good enough monthly direct debits should be the option if the rates department can do this why not the DOI ?   

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So rates up, road tax up…….what next ?    Perhaps a tax on fresh air.   In the day there used to be a tax on luxury goods and people who could afford them paid this tax which was fair,  now the most basic commodities are getting hit I hope Tynwald tells Chris Thomas what to do with this proposal, trying to sugar coat it with optional six monthly payments , with an added £6 on each payment, is not good enough monthly direct debits should be the option if the rates department can do this why not the DOI ?   

I expect to see a hike in N.I once they’ve replaced minimum wage with the living wage, they’ll say its needed for the NHS but in reality it’s about robbing Peter to pay Paul.

5 minutes ago, joebean said:

Proposed? It will happen, of course after a debate in Tynwald lasting a few minutes with a bit of shoulder shrugging before dutifully pressing the “Aye” button. No imagination for anything else than asking for (lots) more from the public. 

Vehicle Duty Orders have been rejected before.

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I expect to see a hike in N.I once they’ve replaced minimum wage with the living wage, they’ll say its needed for the NHS but in reality it’s about robbing Peter to pay Paul.

We need a hike in NI but hopefully they will target higher earnings by lifting the very low maximum earnings threshold of c£50k to £75k minimum 

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Vehicle Duty Orders have been rejected before.

I'm pretty sure the last radical proposed rise and changes to rates was withdrawn (under Baker?) before anybody had the chance to vote yea or nay?