Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

2 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Most, depending on how you define "spent on roads". There are things like vehicle test centre and quarries also included in the Highways Division budget. In addition there are capital projects for major highways schemes.

Time you activated a major highways scheme from Fairy Bridge to Santon

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Messiah Thomas on the NPM commenting he hopes the tax rise doesn’t cause people undue hardship. What a patronising comment, as most people know that any monies raised will be frittered away, and certainly not on the maintenance of roads. 

I answered the question in the terms asked. You really mix things up and then add venom. How much extra will be raised, resident expert, and how does it get frittered away?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cissolt said:

How much is the new art stuff on the promenade going to cost? Until we stop spending on this sort of nonsense the department should get no more money.

There is no highways revenue budget for any art on the promenade. Promenade Walkway has been an unimplemented capital scheme.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but most of us don't fucking drive in the test centre or the quarries..

What I wrote is factual. Quarries produce material for highways and other things. People and vehicles need licences for driving. Vehicle Duty goes to general revenue. Highways Division budget, which is around the same amount as vehicle duty, includes those elements, plus some other items. A large element of highways expenditure is funded from capital rather than revenue because it is investment rather than maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

While you're here can you shed some light on this six months tax malarkey?

its what the summer weather motorcycle fraternity have been asking for for donkeys years , but they reduced all motorbikes down to 25 quid a few years back so i doubt they will put it down to 12.50 for 6 months.  on the other hand if you have a 4x4 land rover/ jeep type thing with a HUGE motor for the nasty winter roads only having to tax it for the winter might be a welcome change.

1 minute ago, WTF said:

its what the summer weather motorcycle fraternity have been asking for for donkeys years , but they reduced all motorbikes down to 25 quid a few years back so i doubt they will put it down to 12.50 for 6 months.  on the other hand if you have a 4x4 land rover/ jeep type thing with a HUGE motor for the nasty winter roads only having to tax it for the winter might be a welcome change.

1 minute ago, WTF said:

I've searched high and low and can find no evidence of that just that you can pay it in six monthly instalments for a premium if it's over £200.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of road tax gets spent on roads and what percentage of that amount get spent on the mountain road for the benefit of the TT and MGP races.    I know the mountain road is an essential highway and should be well maintained but to have it race ready must be expensive to say the least.    It is a well pondered fact that we do not , nor ever will, know just how much tax payers contribute to putting the T.T. on.    When it is named as THE BIGGEST FREE SHOW ON EARTH  it certainly is not for the Manx public who pay tax.

• Like 2