Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

Messiah Thomas on the NPM commenting he hopes the tax rise doesn’t cause people undue hardship. What a patronising comment, as most people know that any monies raised will be frittered away, and certainly not on the maintenance of roads. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind so much if the tax rates were based on a logical system. I have a Smart car, 903 cc which costs £58. I also have a 3litre Ford which costs £420.

The Ford is used about 20 miles a month, the Smart (a diesel) is used maybe once a week for about 20 miles.

So neither car can be called polluting compared to a works van or commuter car so how is the cost logical?

I totally support a separate tax on fuel instead, the polluter pays.

So what if we have an (agreement) with the UK? Change it for our benefit for once, I thought we were proud of our autonomy?

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Its also not technically possible because of our VAT agreement with the UK..sadly.

But fuel duty raised here, stays here.  The VAT part goes into the bigger pot.

Simply charge the VAT on the pre-duty fuel for the common purse and add the IOM Duty to that?

It's not impossible, it just means someone in IOM Gov.com has to some bloody work and not just type into the poorly maintained GTS computer what the UK tells them to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

But fuel duty raised here, stays here.  The VAT part goes into the bigger pot.

Simply charge the VAT on the pre-duty fuel for the common purse and add the IOM Duty to that?

It's not impossible, it just means someone in IOM Gov.com has to some bloody work and not just type into the poorly maintained GTS computer what the UK tells them to.

Not sure it is possible but even if it was all businesses would be complaining as it would be adding extra costs to transporting goods around island which would inevitably lead to higher prices/inflation.

Also buses,taxis etc would cost more 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Not sure it is possible but even if it was all businesses would be complaining as it would be adding extra costs to transporting goods around island which would inevitably lead to higher prices/inflation.

Also buses,taxis etc would cost more 

Done fairly then vehicle license (tax) would not be required (other than a regular examination for hire vehicles). But, "fairly" won't work if "Napoleon(s)" can't get their "equal" share.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Rushen said:

What percentage of road fund money is spent on roads? Not just the TT and Southern 100 that gets done on a monthly basis.

Most, depending on how you define "spent on roads". There are things like vehicle test centre and quarries also included in the Highways Division budget. In addition there are capital projects for major highways schemes.

Edited by Chris Thomas

4 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I wouldn't mind so much if the tax rates were based on a logical system. I have a Smart car, 903 cc which costs £89. I also have a 3litre Ford which costs £420.

The Ford is used about 20 miles a month, the Smart (a diesel) is used maybe once a week for about 20 miles.

So neither car can be called polluting compared to a works van or commuter car so how is the cost logical?

I totally support a separate tax on fuel instead, the polluter pays.

So what if we have an (agreement) with the UK? Change it for our benefit for once, I thought we were proud of our autonomy?

Call for evidence this year on approaches and bands I hope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Most, depending on how you define "spent on roads". There are things like vehicle test centre and quarries also included in the Highways Division budget. In addition there are capital projects for major highways schemes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but most of us don't fucking drive in the test centre or the quarries..

• Haha 4