The easy option

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I see where you’re going with this - just abolish retirement as a concept, make people work until they drop: back to the Victorian age kinda thing?   That’ll do the trick…

No.

The main issue is people retiring early from public sector roles (not just the CS) on big pensions.

But, as I said, early retirement should be discouraged in the private sector too given the labour shortage since 2016.

2 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

he main issue is people retiring early from public sector roles (not just the CS) on big pensions

Not only do they retire early, they often take a part time job thus removing a job from others!!!

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 7:03 PM, Happier diner said:

I was thinking more that a 67 year old man (or woman) is not going to cut it arresting 19 year olds at 2am on a Sunday morning..

Perhaps an older police person, less confrontational, more understanding and commanding some  'respect' from nightlifers is exactly what is required???

Since I became 'older' I seem to get a deal of respect from younger people, holding doors, a pleasant response from shop assistants etc! I don't ask for this, nor expect it but it could work for the Police?

16 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The main issue is people retiring early from public sector roles (not just the CS) on big pensions.

The majority of the PS are not on big salaries and therefore aren’t entitled to big pensions.   Also, you don’t get a big pension if you retire early - the earlier you retire the less you get, on a pro rata basis.

Very few (mostly “top of the scale” types) are entitled to the so-called “golden parachute” - and even fewer get bunged the “golden handshake/NDA” to get rid of them but shut them up.   However, these are the characters that get in the news - and apparently represent the PS on these boards, for many posters.

I don't pretend that I could chase after a couple of 1886'ers legging it through the Sunken Gardens but then, I wouldn't arrive, like the young police woman I saw, screaming at the the 'wrestlers' already on the ground?

Police training or panic??? Human response???

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Jarndyce said:

Also, you don’t get a big pension if you retire early - the earlier you retire the less you get, on a pro rata basis.

.... but then, you would get figures and balance the result to get the best that suits you???

24 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Not only do they retire early, they often take a part time job thus removing a job from others!!!

I hope you can back that up with some facts, K - I’d be interested to see your numbers.

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

Not sure what point you’re trying to make there?

There is so much information available on pension figures you would be afool not to work out what is best for YOU?

3 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I hope you can back that up with some facts, K - I’d be interested to see your numbers.

This is MF. public knowledge, supposition, a sneaky feeling are all the facts that we need? Unless you've a different way of approaching our 'debate'???

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

There is so much information available on pension figures you would be afool not to work out what is best for YOU?

OK - so what?   You still get less pension if you retire early compared with working on - wasn’t that what generic had an issue with, “retiring early on a big pension”?   Its not a big pension if you retire early, not for most.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:
8 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

This is MF. public knowledge, supposition, a sneaky feeling are all the facts that we need? Unless you've a different way of approaching our 'debate'???

Apologies - I forgot for a moment.   I always prefer actual facts.   Crack on!  🙂

• Sad 1