Networking

I bought a Belkin 4 port cable DSL router off ebay last week, not realising it is completely useless. I have a speedtouch 300 USB modem, and this thing only has ethernet-type sockets. :blink:

Is there any possible way of connecting modem to router, router to computer and getting it all to work as it should, or do I need to buy a better router? (if so, what wired suggestions are good for usb modems?)

And as for networking, my brother and I are trying to connect our computers with a crossover cable so that he can use ICS, we're both on Win XP Pro, SP2.

All firewalls are off (for now) and we can ping each others machines. I can connect to the internet (because I have the modem) but no matter what I try I cant get his computer to recognise that he can use that connection.

So if his computer can "see" mine, what do I need to change in order for his to recognise the internet connection? Spent hours on this and got nowhere, its driving us both mad.

So if his computer can "see" mine, what do I need to change in order for his to recognise the internet connection? Spent hours on this and got nowhere, its driving us both mad.

Have you enabled Internet Connection Sharing? (Control Panel>Network connections>Right click your connection>Advanced)

Yep ICS is on. The router isnt the type with a built-in modem, its just a very basic 4 port router, with built in NAT Firewall. The full specs on it can be found here.

One of these Ans?

If so they're no help to me, the router has ethernet ports, not usb ports, which is the problem, as I cant plug my usb modem into the router. I actually need Ethernet > USB.

Semantics really. I would call it a USB > Ethernet still. Device interface chain is like this.

Modem > USB > Ethernet > Router

You know what you want though, and it's the same as what I said, we just call it slightly different things.

I am assuming the Alcatel would need drivers to drive it I doubt the router could control it, however you can get standard DSL modems we used to use one in work for our old EPS9 circuit they are drivers less and just have power and a WAN link.

I bought a Belkin 4 port cable DSL router off ebay last week, not realising it is completely useless. I have a speedtouch 300 USB modem, and this thing only has ethernet-type sockets. :blink:

Is there any possible way of connecting modem to router, router to computer and getting it all to work as it should, or do I need to buy a better router? (if so, what wired suggestions are good for usb modems?)

And as for networking, my brother and I are trying to connect our computers with a crossover cable so that he can use ICS, we're both on Win XP Pro, SP2.

All firewalls are off (for now) and we can ping each others machines. I can connect to the internet (because I have the modem) but no matter what I try I cant get his computer to recognise that he can use that connection.

You might want to put the modem and the router on ebay, and then buy yourself one of these.

When you say you can ping each others machines, have you manually set the IP address on each machine yourself, or is the ICS DHCP working?

Yep, the Alcatel has drivers that come with it.

I'm still a little confused as to what your saying though Ans, as to where to connect my USB modem. As it is now (not including the router) its just straight into the back of my computer into a USB port, and a line from the phone socket to the back of the modem.

If I want to use the router, the instructions in the router's manual are to "unplug the router from your computer, and plug into the WAN socket in the router". The WAN socket on the router is the ethernet type, not USB, so a USB > Ethernet adaptor is useless, unless I am misinterpreting what you're saying.

I might just invest in a router with a built-in modem now though, it might make things much easier.

EDIT: to add that I've manually set the IP address on each machine. I tried it at first with "Obtain IP address automatically" and it was the same situation, so I tried doing it manually to see if there was any difference, but there isnt.

Thats why ICS won't work it likes to configure the IP's itself, you coudl still do it by setting the net connected machine as the default GW to the client - just go wireless and get a new router save teh headache!!

Yep, the Alcatel has drivers that come with it.

I'm still a little confused as to what your saying though Ans, as to where to connect my USB modem. As it is now (not including the router) its just straight into the back of my computer into a USB port, and a line from the phone socket to the back of the modem.

If I want to use the router, the instructions in the router's manual are to "unplug the router from your computer, and plug into the WAN socket in the router". The WAN socket on the router is the ethernet type, not USB, so a USB > Ethernet adaptor is useless, unless I am misinterpreting what you're saying.

I might just invest in a router with a built-in modem now though, it might make things much easier.

EDIT: to add that I've manually set the IP address on each machine. I tried it at first with "Obtain IP address automatically" and it was the same situation, so I tried doing it manually to see if there was any difference, but there isnt.

As access55 says, when you enable ICS on the PC with modem attached, the ip address changes to 192.168.0.1 and runs DHCP, so the second computer needs to be set to obtain an IP address automatically.

This Guide should help you out.

Have just bought 2 netgear dg834g s for £116.80 delivered ie £58.40 each (to a UK address - I held off to my Island place as they wanted an extra £15) from ebuyer - adsl modem, wireless link, and 4 port switch - if you really need a 100M wireless then upgraded dg834 only a few pounds more.

Cheapest mechanism is to get a UK friend to order it then post it to the Island as I found no supplier with reasonable delivery costs to Island. modem routers without wireless are obviously cheaper but as usb wifi dongles are now about £18 at Dixons (& prob cheaper elswhere) you might as well go that route

Archived