Bbc Radio 4 This Evening

Upstream

An interesting 1/2 hour on BBC Radio 4 this evening.

BBC Radio 4 - It's My Story

Thursday 29 December 2005 20:00-20:30 (Radio 4 FM)

The last traditional speaker of Manx Gaelic, Ned Maddrell, died in 1974. But now more than 40 children are receiving their education entirely in the language.

Phil Gawne is the Isle of Man's Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry. But once he served 16 months in prison for arson, committed during the campaign for Manx. He tells the intertwined stories of his life and the struggle for his language, culture and identity.

Did anyone else listen to this programme? I will post the listen again link when it is available

Although I don't necessarily agree with the actions he took (I wasn't on the Island then, I had left to find employment elsewhere), as a politician I trust and respect that guy more than most in Tynwald.

Let's see if your view concurs with the electorate Mr Beckett, in 11 months time . . .

Phil Gawne is a brave politician dedicated to preserving Manx culture and our environment.

When he and three others were sentenced to imprisonment for I think attacks on property some years they had a lot of support from much of the local community. I thought they had gone too far but did have a grudging respect for their viewpoint if not their actions.

The leaders of many countries are ex prisoners - but may be that is another story!

didnt you know he done time lol.

most manxies know that, and to be honest with you everyone deserves a second chance.

Personally i am a fan of phil gawne because he is trying to protect the very people who voted him in unlike the rest of the leeches.

He stood up for what he thought was right.

Evidently, the people of Rushen, thought differently from you Beckett and he beat what I thought was a very good candidate to the post. That's democracy for you!

Although, I didn't vote for him last time out, he has actually been Rushen's least worst MHK this term.

I do not agree with arson but personally I thought Mr Gawne had leant a bit too far towards 'the establishment' in the past 12 months, until the R4 interview that is. The only comment that reflected his pre election self, that I have heard, was something along the lines of disagreeing with growth for growth's sake.

Archived