Washing Machine Problem

mikehpeel

My wife's (or should I say, our) washing machine has decided that spinning is a thing of the past. It goes through the washing cycle OK, albeit noisily, and when it comes to fast spinning decides to call it a day. She called someone today who told her that the bearing on the drum was knackered and, being a quality MEA hotpoint, that meant replacing the drum which costs £200. His advice was take it to the tip and not waste money on his call out charge. I know that the drum bearing was a fault on this make of machine and it has already been replaced once under warranty by the MEA several years ago. Does anyone have any washing machine repair knowledge as to how I can check the machine before taking it to the tip rather than pay a call out fee for someone to tell me my washer is crap! I tried the MEA appliance repair number in the phone book several times during the day but no-one home

You may be able to grab the drum from the inside and move it back and forth sort of like a wheel if you see what I mean. If you have any obvious movement beyond the usual sprung suspension that would indicate shot bearings. (which is almost certainly your problem) Is the motor going through the motions whilst not spinning the drum? You might smell the belt heating up if it is......

here's where I go for spares when I need to do this sort of job, in the past I've found replacing the brushes in the motor fixes this type of fault most of the time.

You can try taking the old ones out and making sure they are not jammed up with carbon deposits, springing them in and out a few times usually gives a few more weeks life and if that works you know what the problem is.

But as the man said on the phone its probably not worth it if you have to pay someone to do it.

I've found replacing the brushes in the motor fixes this type of fault most of the time.

Not sure how that would affect the bearings.

it would't, but reading the first post the bearing problem was diagnosed over the phone so may or may not be correct.

gettin a few more mm sticking out of the brushes by workin them in and out a few times would cost nothing and might solve the problem.

If it is the bearing at £200 I think it would be best to get a new machine.

My wife's (or should I say, our) washing machine

No its definitely womans work, therefore its clearly your wifes' washing machine.

Plus it gives you plenty of scope for this coming Mothers Day.

Thanks Albert, never thought of that, will go well with the ironing board cover she got for Christmas :D

here's where I go for spares when I need to do this sort of job, in the past I've found replacing the brushes in the motor fixes this type of fault most of the time.

You can try taking the old ones out and making sure they are not jammed up with carbon deposits, springing them in and out a few times usually gives a few more weeks life and if that works you know what the problem is.

But as the man said on the phone its probably not worth it if you have to pay someone to do it.

if it was the brushes the drum would not turn in wash or spin mode as the motor operates all these functions

My wife's (or should I say, our) washing machine has decided that spinning is a thing of the past. It goes through the washing cycle OK, albeit noisily, and when it comes to fast spinning decides to call it a day. She called someone today who told her that the bearing on the drum was knackered and, being a quality MEA hotpoint, that meant replacing the drum which costs £200. His advice was take it to the tip and not waste money on his call out charge. I know that the drum bearing was a fault on this make of machine and it has already been replaced once under warranty by the MEA several years ago. Does anyone have any washing machine repair knowledge as to how I can check the machine before taking it to the tip rather than pay a call out fee for someone to tell me my washer is crap! I tried the MEA appliance repair number in the phone book several times during the day but no-one home

there's this guy who replace's the drum. with a new drum (eg) from the tip. puts new bearings & gasket on the drum. he did work for mea. i think he charge's about £70 for that fix... it's a hard job to try by your self. basically you have to remove the top & back of your washing machine. then remove wiring. i'm getting fedup of typing read what this n0ob posted.. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

You may be able to grab the drum from the inside and move it back and forth sort of like a wheel if you see what I mean. If you have any obvious movement beyond the usual sprung suspension that would indicate shot bearings. (which is almost certainly your problem) Is the motor going through the motions whilst not spinning the drum? You might smell the belt heating up if it is......

I have checked the drum and there is a lot of movement in all directions, I think the best thing is to strip it down tomorrow and see what materialises.

Thanks all for your advice, much appreciated thanks.

If I remember rightly, when the bearing was replaced last time under warranty, the drum had to be replaced as the bearing is part and parcel of the drum. Apparently there is only one bearing supporting the drum where ideally there should be two. Hotpoint did accept a fault in the machine eventually!!

if it was the brushes the drum would not turn in wash or spin mode as the motor operates all these functions

your a dumb arse it does, enough power to turn slow gets through but not fast.

Archived