Washing Machine Problem

mikehpeel

here's where I go for spares when I need to do this sort of job, in the past I've found replacing the brushes in the motor fixes this type of fault most of the time.

You can try taking the old ones out and making sure they are not jammed up with carbon deposits, springing them in and out a few times usually gives a few more weeks life and if that works you know what the problem is.

But as the man said on the phone its probably not worth it if you have to pay someone to do it.

if it was the brushes the drum would not turn in wash or spin mode as the motor operates all these functions

Wrong, had this same fault many a time on my old hotpoint WM, would work up untill the spin cycle, £5.00 brushes sorted it, also when i have had to replace the drum bearing in the past i think it only cost about £30.00 without the spider assembly

Try new brushes, you have only a few quid to lose if it dont fix.

Also, there's a place down by the Douglas Gas building on the quay, forget the name of it, but he has a good stock of brushes. It's one of those estates back from the road by the roundabout.

That will be Centigrade Refrigeration on the South Quay Industrial Estate, just behind the Manx Gas Offices.

The noise that it is making could be the evacuation pump being blocked!

In most washing machines there is a float switch that prevents a fast spin if there is water still in the drum. Generally, the float switch does not break.

The easiest way of finding this out is to take the waste water pipe and slowly bring the end down below that of the drum - You will need a bucket or three.

Once you have emptied out the water - put the washing machine on a spin cycle.

If it then spins you are looking at the evacuation pump.

Post back if you need further help.

• 2 years later...

Had similar problems with our machine, we were insured for repairs and MEA chap came a wrote it off and we got £180 towards a new one. One interesting point was we were getting black streaks on the washing which he explained was the emulsified oil from the failed sealed bearings, if you have been getting similar you know what the problem is for definate.

Archived