Free Wi-fi In The Isle Of Man

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Liverpool Arms??

I know they have been in the past - do they still do it???

Worked in May but the food is expensive and in my opinion not so great. When over last time I nipped down to the airport when I wanted a decent download rate as I only have the dial-up from home.

We need free WiFi up North!

Bar George (does this work?)

They told me they stopped it because of some Athol Street types using it for their business  :(

I thought that was the point, so long as people buy food or drink they can use the bandwidth. Was it so powerful that the surrounding buildings could connect?

I have heard of web designers operating out of coffee shops in the USA so long as they keep slurping...

Bar George (does this work?)

They told me they stopped it because of some Athol Street types using it for their business  :(

I thought that was the point, so long as people buy food or drink they can use the bandwidth. Was it so powerful that the surrounding buildings could connect?

I have heard of web designers operating out of coffee shops in the USA so long as the keep slurping...

World record for standard PC WiFi is about 200km.

World record for standard PC WiFi is about 200km.

Take it you don't mean "standard" out of the box kit - more 802.11 type stuff with yagi/colinear/ ex-satellite antenna???

I've made a "bi-quad" out of single sided PCB and had a good signal from up top of Creg-ny-Bar to Gov. Hill (2-3 miles maybe).

bi-quad & old sat antenna

- Bi-quad I made using same dimensions as one above, but instead of copper wire for the radiator I just etched the dimensions onto a piece of PCB.

- I haven't tried using the above with a sat antenna, but have heard you can get 40 miles or so with this kind of setup.

- I can't remember what the max (legal) eirp is for 802.11, but I think you're not allowed to use an antenna with more than 6db gain (correct me if I'm wrong here).

- Think the point regarding Bar George & "Athol Street users" was more to do with offices outside the premises using the bandwidth, rather than punters???

Archived