School Teachers... Your Memories...

Last Ten

I don't recall Benny Ball having a skinhead but he did have a bald patch with strange groove things on that bit of his head.

There was a rumour around my time that those grooves were where his wife bopped him on the head with a garden rake

and least favourites were Mr Vaukins

Vaukins was, and to my best knowledge probably still is, a swaggaring, vulgar oaf of a man whose self regard is matched in terms of ridiculousness only by his moustache... which more closely resembles a symptom of some terrible mental illness than an aesthetic choice. He's the only teacher with whom I feel comfortable slagging off on here, and possibly also dropping his fat ass with a hunting rifle.

Anyone who says "aw, he was alright in the second year of A-level" or "he treated you well if you respected him" will be punished.

Vaukins was, and to my best knowledge probably still is, a swaggaring, vulgar oaf of a man whose self regard is matched in terms of ridiculousness only by his moustache... which more closely resembles a symptom of some terrible mental illness than an aesthetic choice.  He's the only teacher with whom I feel comfortable slagging off on here, and possibly also dropping his fat ass with a hunting rifle.

I'll pay for the bullets ;)

From the teachers you've mentioned sounds like you (and minnie) were there about the same time as me (85-90)

I remember some of the ones mentioned on here (Robbie Teare - good teacher and a genuinely nice guy, I'd heard he passed away unfortunately. Ivor Knight - another genuinely nice fella.)

All time favourite though was Mr Jude the english teacher, went off to work for a local computer sales company.

Vaukins was my nemesis as well though. :angry:

Hi peeps, sounds like I was there same time as Last ten and Skylander and maybe Lonan? I started at Balla in 1972 (I think) the first 2 years I was in 1CP (it was all girls) and the form teacher was Miss Ferguson, think she taught French and was possibly scottish. Then in 3rd year the school went mixed and I was in 3B4 can't remember the form tutor but was sure it was a bloke.

U guys certainly have brought back many memories....... Doris Hooker, Sally Seaweed the Sissons woman, We had Miss Nicholson and also Mrs Lambie for PE/Games, Miss Scatchyard(Geog), Mrs Kelly (Art), the english teacher was a nut Mr Hopster, Miss Durkin taught us French then we had miss Watson....

Does Balla still have the dentist and is the swimming pool still there and in use?

From the teachers you've mentioned sounds like you (and minnie) were there about the same time as me (85-90)

I was a bit later, about 91' to 96 or so

Vaukins was my nemesis as well though.  :angry:

Nice to see I'm not alone in my contempt of all things Jeff. From what I can recall from overheard conversations, not that many of the other teachers were keen on him either.

Hopefully on my next visit back to the Island I can find comfort in seeking him out and hurling rocks at his fat swollen face, especially since this voodoo doll I've been using until now is getting a bit tatty.

In my time at ballakermeen the best teachers were, in my opinion Mrs Stopps (Music), Mr Withington (History), and Mrs Bell, née Godby (French).

I was at Balla '83-'89. Remember Mr Knight very well, one of the best and nicest teachers there.

Won't mention any names but I remember our class going into one of the classrooms and two very red faced teachers appearing from inside the stock cupboard......looking for a certain textbook apparently! <_<

Does anybody remember Ernie Entwhistle or Mr McGuigan(?) (metalwork teacher who wore very strange trousers)?

A special memory of my very first day at Ballakermeen

I don't know how it works now, but in those days your exam results determined which form you went into. The top form was 1S, then 1A, 1L and so on, spelling out SALUTEX.

All the new boys were gathered into the hall and 'Hitler' Holroyd, the deputy Head started reading ou the names of those were in 1S - his own form. They were then removed bu someone to their form room. Then he began reading the list of 1A.

I believed that I'd done reasonably well in the exams, so I was quite disappointed when my name hadn't been called.

After he'd gone through the 1L list I was definitely getting a bit twitchy.

There was still no sign of my name being called for 1U oe even 1T... and when it didn't appear in 1X I was in the depths of despair.

Finally, he read out 1X (at least one former MHK was in that lot!) but I still hadn't been called and so, once they'd left, I remained on my own in the hall.

I will never forget the sight of Holroyd peering over the top of the lectern at me, shaking his head slowly, and muttering: "There's always one.... there's always one!"

As it turned out, I was in 1S - Holroyd's form! Talk about setting off on the wrong foot!

:huh:

• Like 1

Paul Corrin, PE, another good guy.

Hmmm...wasnt he of dubious character!

There was also a really fit female PE teacher who I think also taught maths...kept my interest thats for sure.

As for the banana tree...LOL how the memories and tears come flooding back.

There was also the English teacher who glammed herself right up even though she was about 60!

Weird to think that I might have been in classes with some of you lot....the names certainly bring a load of memories back thats for sure.

PS - dont forget the swimming pool with the slimy floor and the razor sharp tiles on the floor, presumably so you didnt cheat when treading water!!

Vaukins was, and to my best knowledge probably still is, a swaggaring, vulgar oaf of a man whose self regard is matched in terms of ridiculousness only by his moustache... which more closely resembles a symptom of some terrible mental illness than an aesthetic choice.  He's the only teacher with whom I feel comfortable slagging off on here, and possibly also dropping his fat ass with a hunting rifle.

Anyone who says "aw, he was alright in the second year of A-level" or "he treated you well if you respected him" will be punished.

I certainly won't say that. He was a tosser both years as I'm sure most will agree except anyone who did A Level Politics. Slag away but I may be a few days late replying becauser I'm now taking a nice break in sunny Wroclaw in the south of Poland. I'm getting pissed quite nicely until I remembered Mr Vaukins! See you all quite soon.

Does anybody remember Ernie Entwhistle or Mr McGuigan(?) (metalwork teacher who wore very strange trousers)?

Dont remember Mr McGuigan, but I do remember Ernie.

Bugger it wasn't McGuigan.....it was Mr McQuillan.

I think Mr McQuillan was a metalwork teacher and latterly head of the craft section of Balla.

When I was there around 1975 to about 1978ish Mr McQuillan was quite strict, however I met him about three years ago at an open evening for my son and Mr McQuillan had mellowed quite a bit (probably because he was about to retire) :D

I remember some of the ones mentioned on here (Robbie Teare - good teacher and a genuinely nice guy, I'd heard he passed away unfortunately)

Quite saddened by the above quote/post from The Scope regarding Robbie Teare, I just hope it is wrong :(

Last Ten