Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Agree gettafa, used to walk down Strand Street on a Saturday and it would be hello to every other person now I see the other survivors of my generation at the hospital or featured in the Courier's recent departures page.

Is that due to the effect you have on them...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Agree gettafa, used to walk down Strand Street on a Saturday and it would be hello to every other person now I see the other survivors of my generation at the hospital or featured in the Courier's recent departures page.

The Island is a much more diverse place these days. Not everyone shares the same few strands of dna

57 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

MR news reporting maintains unparalleled standards: NEWS: Local man narrowly avoids Hurricane Dorian.

What’s wrong with that?

I remember a news story of little note the went something like"......

” School teachers boy takes his inheritance, his spaniel and his silver spoon to Cornwall, to live amongst the scone and pasty factories, yet still longs for the Island enough to continue posting shite on a local ( Manx) forum.

:flowers:

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

If you look back over the years Manx Radio loves these ‘cheap/sensational’ stories as they appear quite often. There is always an interview, on a crappy phone line, with someone that might, just might, be in the same country, but never anywhere near the situation. Its not fake news, but very much dull news I suggest.

24 minutes ago, WKRP said:

If you look back over the years Manx Radio loves these ‘cheap/sensational’ stories as they appear quite often. There is always an interview, on a crappy phone line, with someone that might, just might, be in the same country, but never anywhere near the situation. Its not fake news, but very much dull news I suggest.

Where is the emoji for lemon sucking ?

30 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

MR news reporting maintains unparalleled standards: NEWS: Local man narrowly avoids Hurricane Dorian.

I'm glad it's not just me that laughed.  It's worth quoting in its full parochial splendour:

Andrew Lee is currently in Florida where storm was due to hit

A local man holidaying in Florida has narrowly missed the impact of Hurricane Dorian.

Andrew Lee is currently in Cape Coral where the storm was potentially predicted to hit after devastating the Bahamas.

After preparing for the worst, the storm took a turn, making this the fourth hurricane Lee has avoided over the years.

He says people started panic buying days before it was due to hit:

What gets me is that these sort of stories have been a matter of ridicule and parody for over 100 years.  Manx Radio's staff must know how idiotic and self-centred it makes them (and their informant) look.  But they go ahead and report it anyway.

It's fine if some local has unique eyewitness testimony that adds to the story, but otherwise it just comes across as trying to make other people's tragedies 'all about us'.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Thank you for providing me with another opportunity for my favourite game...

MR Headline

Laxey man caught up in star’s murder.

Billy Braindead, who visited Mines Road for over seven minutes in 1966 when on holiday from Scunthorpe, was stunned by his exposure to the death of a music legend. Billy’s cousin’s dog-walker’s sister’s librarian’s hairdresser’s gardener’s next door neighbour’s plumber’s brother’s pub landlord’s dentist was eight streets away pissing in a shop doorway when John Lennon was shot.

”I’m still in shock 39 years later” revealed an ashen faced Billy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm glad it's not just me that laughed.  It's worth quoting in its full parochial splendour:

What gets me is that these sort of stories have been a matter of ridicule and parody for over 100 years.  Manx Radio's staff must know how idiotic and self-centred it makes them (and their informant) look.  But they go ahead and report it anyway.

It's fine if some local has unique eyewitness testimony that adds to the story, but otherwise it just comes across as trying to make other people's tragedies 'all about us'.  

No it doesn’t. That’s just your mocking opinion. Why try to put the station down for a simple story.? Short of something to talk about ?