Just Bought A New Pc

I just bought a new PC from an unnamed local retailer (that is next to the Milestone ;) ) for which the advert said it was equipped with 512Mb of RAM (even says it on the box having taken a closer look). Out of curiosity I have just clicked on my computer/properties and it says there is 384Mb.

Am I missing something or should I be paying them a visit tomorrow morning?

Doesn't say anything when it boots up. I have just ran the upgrade advisor for Windows Vista though and that says there is insufficient memory at 384Mb (512 being the minimum). The spec on the box clearly states it should have 512Mb of DDRII RAM

Doesn't say anything when it boots up. I have just ran the upgrade advisor for Windows Vista though and that says there is insufficient memory at 384Mb (512 being the minimum). The spec on the box clearly states it should have 512Mb of DDRII RAM

Looks like you should be paying them a visit tomorrow morning then!

When it boots go into bios and it will have the amount of RAM.

Integer is correct. Does it have on board graphics or is there a seperate card?

If you dont know or aren't sure have a look at the back of the pc where the monitor plugs into it. If it plugs in very close to where the mouse and keyboard go then it will be.

You stated 512Mb of RAM but did they advertise the system as 512Mb of memory (which isn't the same thing)?

If the box clearly states it should have 512Mb of DDRII RAM, then that is different.

You stated 512Mb of RAM but did they advertise the system as 512Mb of memory (which isn't the same thing)?

If the box clearly states it should have 512Mb of DDRII RAM, then that is different.

Why? The graphics (if they are onboard) will be using 128 MB of that DDRII RAM. So it still has 512MB of DDRII but 128MB are shared by the on board graphics which will show as 384MB RAM in windows.

Edited to make my drunken ramblings more comprehensible :)

The 512Mb is probably including 128Mb for video - its quite a common "marketing" ploy.

Really? That's pretty low and 128mb isn't really that much of a saving ffs.

The 512Mb is probably including 128Mb for video - its quite a common "marketing" ploy.

Really? That's pretty low and 128mb isn't really that much of a saving ffs.

It is low but it saves them having to put in a 128MB graphics card which depending on model can cost between 40-100 quid (I paid £330 quid for my 9800 Pro, more fool me).

Sell 10 of those computers and they have saved 400 quid minimum.

Yeah, what dooahhdoo said. They just use onboard video which saves a video card. I only know about it because we had the same happen when we bought a machine from Misco. Luckily, the machine wasn't for me - it was for a customer who wouldn't know any difference anyway. Didn't stop me feeling cheated though...

Will have to watch out for that one then, I thought if they said 512mb RAM then it was memory that wasn't shared by onboard graphics.

TerryMcCann : Does it say anything about onboard graphics?

Will have to watch out for that one then, I thought if they said 512mb RAM then it was memory that wasn't shared by onboard graphics.

TerryMcCann : Does it say anything about onboard graphics?

Sadly yes. Oh well. Good job I have no intention of installing Vista for another year or so. PC works fine as it is so I don't actually need the extra memory at present. Just something to keep an eye out for my future purchases I suppose

Archived