Recycling

Theskeat

Stu Peters made some good points over recyling on MR this morning, and I was wondering how many members take their waste for recycling. I dont and am not likely to do so in the future unless the proper Bins were issued in the area I lived instead of having to travel to dispose of unwanted waste. I actually think its a waste of money on the Island.

Stu Peters made some good points over recyling on MR this morning, and I was wondering how many members take their waste for recycling. I dont and am not likely to do so in the future unless the proper Bins were issued in the area I lived instead of having to travel to dispose of unwanted waste. I actually think its a waste of money on the Island.

So, you have no respect for future generations? You're happy to consume the planet's resources without any thoughts for other people?

Stu Peters is a sad example of an older generation who just don't care about our planet.

Whenever anyone talks about 'our planet' I get a chill down my spine.

Not all of us have the time or inclination to be eco-warriors. I applaud those of you who do your bit - the point I was trying to make is that the onus shouldn't be transferred to US for the excesses of the packaging industry.

If the Corpy wants us to recycle, it should make it easier than having to use expensive fossil fuels to drive to the Grandstand. So how about this for a compromise.

I think recyclers should pay lower rates. I'm happy to pay someone else to sort my waste, as my life isn't long enough to do it for them.

Whenever anyone talks about 'our planet' I get a chill down my spine.

Not all of us have the time or inclination to be eco-warriors. I applaud those of you who do your bit - the point I was trying to make is that the onus shouldn't be transferred to US for the excesses of the packaging industry.

If the Corpy wants us to recycle, it should make it easier than having to use expensive fossil fuels to drive to the Grandstand. So how about this for a compromise.

I think recyclers should pay lower rates. I'm happy to pay someone else to sort my waste, as my life isn't long enough to do it for them.

I don't agree. You have enought energy and enthusiasm to consume; you should reserve some for tidying up after yourself. You have a car (or two) so you're not in the same situation as a lady in Laxey (Dan's show yesterday).

If you buy something with excess packaging then leave the packaging at the store. Two examples from my own experience during April: Waltons will let you leave the packaging behind as will Shoprite Ramsey.

I don't agree with lower rates for recyclers - the continental approach where we pay per bag-load of rubbish and free bins for glass, metals, plastics etc. ensures the maximum result. So you pay for the refuse you generate which you don't recycle.

Your grandstand argument is based on your lazy sofa-centric approach to life - you drive around all the time; you only have to organise yourself so that you take things to be recycled with you when you'll be going past a site such as the Grandstand, Ayres Amenity centre or Ramsey Shoprite is all it takes.

If my 81 year-old mother can recycle then so can you.

Finally: If you don't respect our planet how can you expect other people to respect you?

My brother lives in Hertfordshire and they are provided with recycling boxes along with their bin. They just put paper / bottles into these during the week and they are collected for recycling as would their normal rubbish be.

With anything that gets put into recycling bins in the Island here such as paper, does it actually get recycled or is it carted off to the incinerator and burned?

My brother lives in Hertfordshire and they are provided with recycling boxes along with their bin. They just put paper / bottles into these during the week and they are collected for recycling as would their normal rubbish be.

Same here, although the recycling scheme has recently expanded so we can ditch tins and cardboard as well. One of the best things about it is it reduces recycling to a humdrum routine activity similar to tossing out the rubbish, so it's impossible to get too smug or angry about recycling as an issue - unless a person's happy to be seen as the kind who thinks having to remember to throw X in the recycling box when it's right there beside the bin in the kitchen is an inconvenience worth launching a moral crusade over.

Technology is mature enough to sort all of our rubbish, and council/authority processing plants are the best place to use it - in one place - and in one fell swoop.

If I was a plastics or a glass manufacturer I would not trust that a bag of plastic or glass containers I received had been washed out thoroughly and I would have to separate all of the the additional paper, milk, shampoo, brown sauce and other impurities anyway.

Recycling the way we do it now results in double handling and the use of even more energy - we just choose not to see that we've been sucked into believing that putting our crap into the right bin at the Grandstand is going to solve the worlds problems.

Technology is mature enough to sort all of our rubbish, and council/authority processing plants are the best place to use it - in one place - and in one fell swoop.

If I was a plastics or a glass manufacturer I would not trust that a bag of plastic or glass containers I received had been washed out thoroughly and I would have to separate all of the the additional paper, milk, shampoo, brown sauce and other impurities anyway.

Recycling the way we do it now results in double handling and the use of even more energy - we just choose not to see that we've been sucked into believing that putting our crap into the right bin at the Grandstand is going to solve the worlds problems.

Recycling and incinerating is far better than the utterly shameful way waste has been dumped at the Point of Ayre. At least in 20 years the PoA will look much better: there is no sign now of the old Ramsey tip which was a great playground for a young GD4ELI some 40 years ago.

there is no sign now of the old Ramsey tip which was a great playground for a young GD4ELI some 40 years ago.

Till son of Dandara build houses on it in about twenty years - and they all mysteriously explode as a result of the build up of methane.

That old Ramsey tip will be festering for many years yet. God only knows what's in it given the way waste such as PCBs etc. was handled 30 years ago.

I had a trip the the Eastern Civic Amenity Site on the Mayday bank holiday weekend with my carefully sorted 'green' and 'household' waste, to be told 'just dump it all in the green waste skips as the others are all full'.

So quite put out that not only my efforts at sorting my waste had been wasted but a whole bank holiday weekend worth of green waste had been contaminated i rang DLGE, who informed me the Douglas Corporation are responsible.

Finally with a call to Paul Cowin, Assistant Town Clerk, i discovered that all the waste, green/household, goes to the incinerator as there is not composting facillity.

Makes me wonder where all the rest of the material for recycling goes...........

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, MY ARSE

there is no sign now of the old Ramsey tip which was a great playground for a young GD4ELI some 40 years ago.

Till son of Dandara build houses on it in about twenty years - and they all mysteriously explode as a result of the build up of methane.

That old Ramsey tip will be festering for many years yet. God only knows what's in it given the way waste such as PCBs etc. was handled 30 years ago.

It's a nature reserve I think, not that this should prevent new houses being built.

I had a trip the the Eastern Civic Amenity Site on the Mayday bank holiday weekend with my carefully sorted 'green' and 'household' waste, to be told 'just dump it all in the green waste skips as the others are all full'.

So quite put out that not only my efforts at sorting my waste had been wasted but a whole bank holiday weekend worth of green waste had been contaminated i rang DLGE, who informed me the Douglas Corporation are responsible.

Finally with a call to Paul Cowin, Assistant Town Clerk, i discovered that all the waste, green/household, goes to the incinerator as there is not composting facillity.

Makes me wonder where all the rest of the material for recycling goes...........

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, MY ARSE

(Smug alert)

Being a rural Swiss area we have a great green recycling area, I must a get a photo of it as soon as the sun comes out. Everything green gets reused, it's illegal to burn owt in the garden.

In fact I must grab some photos of our recycling area in general. Stay tuned...

I think it dosent really matter what the issue is at all, everyone should at least be mindful of the planet and of recycling and make the best effort possible. So does the corpy not provide bins outside houses, that can then be recycled? Why doesnt someone protest this, that way it makes it easier for people who are not "eco warriors" to do their bit? You would thnk that an Island that prides itself on its natural beauty would be the first to recycle, or at least make it easier for people etc....

Even things like not puttin your fruit and veg in them silly bags at supermarket and boycotting those fruits an veg that are uneccesarily packaged etc. Re using plastic bags, or buying a shopper bag? All these little things count. Not driving everywhere when the IOM is such a lovely place to walk or ride a bike!

I hate it when people label you a hippy eco warrior because you are concerned about the state of the natural world and planet! Everyone has a responsibility to at least be mindful and praise other people that are mindful too. I dont want to bring kids up in an overpolluted and dirty world..

They say that the environment is the thing that will cave in and kill us all in the future, and I believe that.

They say that the environment is the thing that will cave in and kill us all in the future, and I believe that.

I think it's already happening, just look at the way our glaciers are retreating.

Archived